Too Many Projects?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
kayray

Post by kayray »

I've been wondering this for a while... how many of us are familiar with IRC?

I could start a librivox IRC channel, perhaps for use during our jamborees.

(as if we need some new way to waste time...)

kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I've got to say that I really LIKE the idea of a Jamboree. Face it, ANYONE can read and edit a single chapter of something in a day. It's not hard - it's just that a lot of us need to be prodded a bit in order to do it.

What do you think of this idea: We're coming up on a new month. Why don't we set aside the first weekend of every month as a Reading Jamboree for LibriVox? Most people have a bit of time they can set aside at some point during the weekend, and if we can get people talking about it then folks will participate out of the sheer force of wanting to participate.

Take the first weekend and just read SOMETHING. Long or short, it doesn't matter at all. You know, if just 10% of LibriVoxers participate, we'd get almost 60 chapters done that weekend... That'd go a HECK of a long ways towards wrapping up a bunch of projects! If we make it a monthly affair, you'll see the backlog melt away like a snowbank on a bright spring day.

It doesn't even require much in the way of coordination. Just talk it up in the forums and get everyone thinking in terms of staking out something to read for that weekend. We've got almost two weeks; that's plenty of time to get the ball rolling!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey that's a great idea!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Ah, now i understand the "jamboree" thing. Thanks Chip.

Somebody mentioned IRC. Teamspeak could acompany IRC as a great "socializer" on an evening like this. Where everybody meets and chats before he goes for his recording or afterwards. I could put up a teamspeak server for that moment where everybody can meet in one room, or join some quieter zones, or create own rooms....Teamspeak sounds almost as good as skype, but can handle more people.

I thought of the jamboree to be like a TeamSpeak roundtable...which btw we could do too. Once in a month we (buddies in my old game-clan) met on teamspeak to talk about topics we noted down for this day to talk about...like the future managment of the clan.
Some things don?t work so well on an all public-forum.
(If you don?t have a hidden special core-group subforum for founders only)
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

I think the jamboree is a good idea. It certainly couldn't hurt!

I also think that teamspeak might be fun to try. It would be nice to have a set time period (1-2 hours) when we can get as many volunteers online as possible, and also to leave the channel open during the entire "jamboree".
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Working around time zones is going to be interesting =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
vee

Post by vee »

As long as it's a US time zone I'd be game. I'm not sure if you want to hear me recording at 3am. :)
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
kri

Post by kri »

I can be up late, as long as it's not before a day I work (Thursday, Saturday, Sunday).

Woohoo, this sounds like fun!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

This is why I was thinking of having the Jamboree "over the weekend". That leaves it wide open to the readers; no firm deadlines (GOT to be done by 5pm PST!) but just have everyone read, edit, and upload on their own schedules. The idea is to get a sense of participation going, rather than establish a hard-and-fast schedule.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

I like the jamboree idea a lot.

But it's really not too hard to set yourself a schedule for this. (And I'm a disorganized person, so me saying this says a lot.)

Not everybody needs to read six days a week, like I do for my little podcast. (And I wouldn't advise them to, especially since my lack of foresight on length was giving me voice problems this fall.) But if you can just pick some little bit of dead time and record during that every week, it's amazing how quickly you can get things done. You can do it in the morning before work or in the evening right when you get home, or while everybody else is watching the show they like that you don't. Even fifteen minutes here and there is a lot.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Banshee wrote:
Not everybody needs to read six days a week, like I do for my little podcast. (And I wouldn't advise them to, especially since my lack of foresight on length was giving me voice problems this fall.) But if you can just pick some little bit of dead time and record during that every week, it's amazing how quickly you can get things done. You can do it in the morning before work or in the evening right when you get home, or while everybody else is watching the show they like that you don't. Even fifteen minutes here and there is a lot.
Yup. Now that I'm NOT having to do a bazillion medical cat things in the morning, I can generally get in 15 minutes of work while Peter's in the shower.

-Catharine