Which mp3 player recommended for audiobooks

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lauraon

Post by lauraon »

:?: Hi, Can any of you make suggestions about which mp3 player is best for me? I have been using my daughters ipod nano but it filled up very quickly
with audiobooks. I don't like the thought of having to shell out lots of money for a larger ipod, i keep thinking that perhaps there is another equally good or better player for less money. Since i'd plan to use it mostly for audio books, i might not need the same audio quality as one listening to music would. :?
vee

Post by vee »

I have an Archos gMini 402, and I've been pretty happy with it. It's 20GB, supports video playback, and has a built in microphone. It's not quite as sleek as the iPod nano, but it's pretty good for me. Archos also makes an audio only player for the same price ($249) which is smaller than the gMini.
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I've got a Creative Zen Micro which holds 5Gigs of stuff and is just a tiny little thing. It was just under $200 when I bought it about six months ago. I really like it, but I almost bought one of its bigger brothers yesterday.

I was wandering through WalMart and spotted a Creative Zen Touch for only $219.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

I bought my wife a Zen Micro and she is pretty happy with it. It compares very favorably to the iPod, in that it costs less and has more features ? though I freely admit, it is not an ?iPod,? if that is an issue for you. I spent $160.00 (though I could have gotten away with $150 if my wife did not need the pink one) and it has a radio tuner, voice recorder, replaceable battery, and comes in any of 10 colors ? all of which the iPod lacks.

And like ChipDoc pointed out ? you can get a different version of the Zen player with significantly more storage space for not a proportional amount more money.

But when push comes to shove ? ANY MP3 Player with a gig or more (more IS better) of storage space will do a handy job of holding almost any audio book. Find the one you like.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

I'd stay away from the "ilo" brand players. I had one, and it was nice enough, but there was a strange buzz in it and it died after about 6 months. At under fifty bucks, it was certainly cheap - but you get what you pay for.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
justfoundjoy

Post by justfoundjoy »

I've got a WaveX WV-830C... it's only 512mb, so might not be suitable for you. I usually convert my files to Windows Media 32 or 20 kbps, which increases the capacity (and with spoken word files, the decreased sound quality isn't very noticable). Some main reasons for liking this particular model - it's got mini speakers, which are wonderfully useful at times. The screen and menu are very easy to read... it's also technically possible to read ebooks (txt files) off this thing, but the size of the unit restricts the usefullness of that feature. There's also an FM radio and a high quality voice recording feature if that interests you. Anyway, you should be able to find it on Amazon for less than $120 if you're interested.