ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

I think it's best we stick to Mondays, so I'm moving it back to next Monday, December 12th, though it is getting close to Christmas Party days. I'll change the info in the Announcement Thread. So, you all have a week to wait, wonder, and invite.
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

williamjones wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 6:51 am I feel kinda stupid. I don't grok what "Staff Picks, Libriversaries" mean.
From what I've picked up since joining, staff picks are audiobooks recommended to Librivox readers.
I assume that means the books listed in the monthly picks on the Librivox main page. When you scroll down, you'll find them to the right, under "Latest news": https://librivox.org/

Libriversaries are a monthly category in the subforum "Suggestions, Comments, News & Discussion" - it's a list of (I assume currently active) volunteers who've been on Librivox for x amount of years, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=95582.

Sounds therefore like the session will be about "stuff we do on the forum/website that you may find interesting".
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

SowasVon wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 2:54 pm From what I've picked up since joining, staff picks are audiobooks recommended to Librivox readers.
I assume that means the books listed in the monthly picks on the Librivox main page. When you scroll down, you'll find them to the right, under "Latest news": https://librivox.org/
And here's where you suggest picks for the next month: viewtopic.php?t=17058&view=unread#unread
They are by monthly theme.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thanks to those of you who have tried to enlighten my ignorance.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
pamlflaherty

Post by pamlflaherty »

Where is the "invite above" I have read all through the messages, looked at the wrench, but can never seem to find actual announcements or invites? At bottom of pages? Pam
msfry

Post by msfry »

pamlflaherty wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:44 pm Where is the "invite above" I have read all through the messages, looked at the wrench, but can never seem to find actual announcements or invites? At bottom of pages? Pam
It's back on Page 66, posted November 2.
viewtopic.php?p=2126382#p2126382

In the Announcement Thread, it's the last post, as no one is supposed to chat on this thread, and you should get an email announcement of each post in both threads. Of course, this depends upon your settings in your User Control Panel. Some people routinely check their Notifications (upper right corner of any forum page) in lieu of email notices.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Just a reminder, tomorrow at 11 the 1st Monday's Zoom Club meets . . . . on the 2nd Monday this time due to the shutdown last Monday. Hope to see a bunch of you there and some new faces, too. Check a few post above this one for the link.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Won’t be able to make the December Zoom session. :( Hope everyone has a good time!
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
smike

Post by smike »

I won't be attending, I have COVID and m not feeling well.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sorry you're feeling bad, Claudia. Take care.
Gonna miss you, Mary. Next time.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I was bummed to miss it, but first I had a work meeting scheduled at the same time, and then the power went out an hour ahead of that--which means my power backup for the internet went out just as the Zoom was starting. Sigh.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

stepheather wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:14 am I was bummed to miss it, but first I had a work meeting scheduled at the same time, and then the power went out an hour ahead of that--which means my power backup for the internet went out just as the Zoom was starting. Sigh.
Sometimes it's just not meant to be. But we are all still busy as bees on the forum. See you next time :thumbs: :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

December Meeting Minutes -- sort of.
8 participants, including a new face! Should I list the names (which all show up on the video)? Let's take a vote.

Michele led forum tours of:
The little known Libriversaries feature
Staff Picks and how to participate.
How to report errors to Gutenberg.

The video is being converted now and will be posted soon, I promise.

Next month we already have two topics on the agenda -
What is Metadata and how is it used.
Phil will present how he uses and has gotten involved with Gutenberg.
msfry

Post by msfry »

stepheather wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:14 am I was bummed to miss it, but first I had a work meeting scheduled at the same time, and then the power went out an hour ahead of that--which means my power backup for the internet went out just as the Zoom was starting. Sigh.
Power and cable outages are totally unpredictable for us all. Hope you can make the next one.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

philchenevert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:39 am
Sometimes it's just not meant to be. But we are all still busy as bees on the forum. See you next time :thumbs: :thumbs:
Ha, thanks! Yeah, I actually used the opportunity to record a poem, do a SPL, and start some editing on a one-act play. :lol:
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837