Public domain in Canada changing on December 30

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

On December 30, 2022, public domain in Canada changes from 50 years after the author’s death to 70 years after the author’s death. See https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=42842&lang=en. We knew it was coming, just not exactly when.

Darn. That further limits some of my options here.
Winnifred

Away from my computer March 30 to April 6.

Readers Wanted:
The Powder of Sympathy by Christopher Morley (humorous short essays on a wide range of topics including literature, Buddha, cars, New York, Oxford, recipes, and a dog named Gissing)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

December 30? What a weird day!

I think they had to do it before 2023. But it would have been nice to do it right at the new year. :roll:

(And now, Agatha Christie will probably be 20 years further out of reach!) Image
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

P.S. It isn't retroactive, so it won't further limit your options; they'll stay the same.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TriciaG wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 4:32 pm P.S. It isn't retroactive, so it won't further limit your options; they'll stay the same.
But what about projects in progress? I just posted in the Enough Rope project about this, as I've recorded 3 Dorothy Parker poems there, and the project's unlikely to finish before December 30. I'm assuming those three will have to be removed and rerecorded by someone in the US. :(
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The Powder of Sympathy by Christopher Morley (humorous short essays on a wide range of topics including literature, Buddha, cars, New York, Oxford, recipes, and a dog named Gissing)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No. The new rules won't be retroactive. Any authors PD in Canada today will be PD in Canada on December 31st. But on January 1st, when before the law authors who died in 1972 would have been PD for us, they won't be - not until Jan 1, 2043.

Make sense?

Essentially, Canada PD will be frozen for the next 20 years.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TriciaG wrote: November 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm No. The new rules won't be retroactive. Any authors PD in Canada today will be PD in Canada on December 31st. But on January 1st, when before the law authors who died in 1972 would have been PD for us, they won't be - not until Jan 1, 2043.

Make sense?

Essentially, Canada PD will be frozen for the next 20 years.
Ah, I see. Ok, that's a relief.

Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: