'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Cori (Cori Samuel) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I wanted to take a moment to thank Cori Samuel for the wonderful reading of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. https://librivox.org/frankenstein-or-the-modern-prometheus-1818-by-mary-wollstonecraft-shelley/

I teach 9th grade and we just finished the novel. The Librivox recording was an absolute game-changer for a student one mine who absolutely loves to read, but does so with great difficulty because of significant dyslexia. The recording allowed her to hear the words being read as she followed along herself. I saw a night and day improvement when she started to use this strategy; her comprehension of the book as well as her ability to engage the themes and think critically about the complex ideas expressed therein blew me away.

Thankyou for making a real difference in the life of this student!

--
Ben

All of Cori's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for aurore (Emily Jarmard) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,

I listened to the LibreVox audiobook of The Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright (1872 - 1944), https://librivox.org/the-shepherd-of-the-hills-by-harold-bell-wright/

a couple weeks ago. I became interested in the book when a friend said that her ancestor was mentioned in the book, she was made to read it by her grandmother and “It is the worst book in the world!” Well, that piqued my interest. How often does one get to delve into the “worst book in the world.” Since I listen to books rather than read them, I was delighted to find Emily Jarmard’s narration of the book on LibreVox. I found her reading to be excellent, diction was clear, pace was appropriate for listening and her ability to convey mood kept my interest. Please thank her for me.

Sincerely,

Cassandra

All of Emily's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Paul Adams (Paul Adams) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
My fingers were shaking and my eyes blurred as I tried to find the stop button on my mobile. Thank you Sir , for 7 hours of divinity as I lost myself in the streets of London, Paris and St Antoine, and amongst the characters . “ The Tale of Two Cities”, may be perhaps the most read novel in the English language, but I count myself in the fortunate ones who got to hear the story from you. Your command of the English language coupled with the passion for reading takes the listener to another world altogether.

If work or pleasure brings you to my part of the world ( Hyderabad, India) , there is an eager 70+ geezer waiting to shake your hand in gratitude.

Sridhar

All of Paul's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for jimmowatt (Jim Mowatt) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
We wanted to thank Jim Mowatt for his readings of “Our Island Story”. We are a homeschool family and my 11 year old daughter who hasn’t particularly enjoyed listening to this book has expressed that she “loves this guy!”. He has a way of dramatically telling the story and uses different voices for characters. It has kept her engaged and not fighting me each day to listen to it.

Thank you!!

Meghan

All of Jim's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for FabulaeAudi (Abigail Rasmussen) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of Little Women (version 2):
I would like to lead with the statement that I haven’t yet finished the book, but I wanted to say I’ve gotten further with this audiobook of Little Women than any other time I’ve tried to read it thanks to your reading. Your voice gives a notion that one of the girls’ contemporaries, or maybe even one of the girls themselves, is telling the story and it gives a sort of enchantment because of that. Thank you for your hard work.

Sincerely,

Liz

All of Abigail's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Eduard Rochester

Post by Eduard Rochester »

icequeen wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:31 pm Praise received for Eduard Rochester (James K. White) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I absolutely LOVE your recording of South American Jungle Tales, and am amazed at how well you change your voice and make sound effects, eg the sounds of the steam boat in The Alligator Wars. And the grandfather alligator is a completely different voice than the sturgeon, which again is a completely differnt voice than the lazy bee in the following story. And of course I love the tales themselves . I am newly disabled and holding a book to read is difficult, but I will often listen to all 8 tales whilte lying in bed or doing other things in the kitchen.
Thank you!
Diana
and...
Thank you James K. White for your reading of the 1876 novella The Man-Wolf by Alexandre Chatrian and Emile Erkmann (https://librivox.org/the-man-wolf-by-emile-erckmann/). I enjoyed it. I really appreciate LibriVox and volunteers like you making stories like this available. I had never heard of The Man-Wolf. Thanks!

Jon
Alexis, NC

All of James' recordings!

Hi Ann,

Thanks for sending these Thank You notes. I'd like to respond to them. Could you give me their emails?

Jim
Sir Eduard Rochester
Southern Desert Wind Collective
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Ann, thank you so much for letting me know about this! Could you please pass on the following message?

Dear Iain (if I may),

Thank you very much for taking the time to write. I appreciate it greatly.

Your composition is perfect. I had no idea that William Morris could sound like that, but I like it very much. I've listened on headphones (I always listen through headphones!) and the clarity is marvellous. I hope you keep finding other sources of inspiration and create more wonderful pieces of music.

My very best,
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for treesh (Patricia Oakley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Respected Sir/Mam

I write to you this email to forward my deepest gratitude to the reader of the book

The philosophy and fun of algebra

Read by Patricia Oakley

I found out about this website through YouTube.

My message to Patricia Oakley is

Respected Mam

I am indebted to you for reading the book for free, I have difficulty reading English books, since it is my second language, Since finding the free recordings my life has not been the same. Thank you for your service. I have now started to read books thanks to you. Books do indeed change life. Thank you

Have a Happy and Great adventurous life thank you.
All of Patricia's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Newgatenovelist wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:20 pm Ann, thank you so much for letting me know about this! Could you please pass on the following message?

Dear Iain (if I may),

Thank you very much for taking the time to write. I appreciate it greatly.

Your composition is perfect. I had no idea that William Morris could sound like that, but I like it very much. I've listened on headphones (I always listen through headphones!) and the clarity is marvellous. I hope you keep finding other sources of inspiration and create more wonderful pieces of music.

My very best,
Erin
I will! Thanks Erin!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

icequeen wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:33 pm Praise received for TheBanjo (Peter Dann) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please extend my gratitude, from one lover of Joseph Conrad to another,

to Mr. Peter Dann for his fine readings of Nostromo and Lord Jim.

The stories are wonderfully long and complex, and Mr. Dann establishes and maintains

a restrained, and meditative voice throughout, just right for the narrators of these stories.

They are a great challenge, I'm sure.

With kind regards,

Robert

All of Peter's recordings!
Anne, thank you for passing this on to me. Would you be kind enough to write back to Robert as follows?

Robert, it's very kind of you indeed to take the time to pass through your thanks for my Nostromo and Lord Jim recordings on Librivox. Isn't it a wonderful thing that, more than a century after Conrad wrote these novels, there are still people in the world like you and I who find them deeply meaningful in ways that I, at least, struggle to describe? I find they're actually very rewarding to read aloud — but at the same time it's very gratifying to hear now and again from such an appreciative listener as yourself. Thank you! Peter.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

TheBanjo wrote: October 16th, 2022, 12:50 am
icequeen wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:33 pm Praise received for TheBanjo (Peter Dann) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please extend my gratitude, from one lover of Joseph Conrad to another,

to Mr. Peter Dann for his fine readings of Nostromo and Lord Jim.

The stories are wonderfully long and complex, and Mr. Dann establishes and maintains

a restrained, and meditative voice throughout, just right for the narrators of these stories.

They are a great challenge, I'm sure.

With kind regards,

Robert

All of Peter's recordings!
Anne, thank you for passing this on to me. Would you be kind enough to write back to Robert as follows?

Robert, it's very kind of you indeed to take the time to pass through your thanks for my Nostromo and Lord Jim recordings on Librivox. Isn't it a wonderful thing that, more than a century after Conrad wrote these novels, there are still people in the world like you and I who find them deeply meaningful in ways that I, at least, struggle to describe? I find they're actually very rewarding to read aloud — but at the same time it's very gratifying to hear now and again from such an appreciative listener as yourself. Thank you! Peter.
I have passed this on to Robert, thanks Peter!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MamaGeek (Celine Major) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Celine Major

Ref: Mistress of Court Regna

I enjoyed listening to this story. I always look forward to your work.

I know, I don't say it enough. I do so APPRECIATE the time and effort you put into narrating genres I am partial to, mysteries and romance/mysteries. I listen to them almost every year.

Thank You!
MsElizabeth
All of Celine's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
PloniAlmoni

Post by PloniAlmoni »

Thanks to Elizabeth Klett for her (as usual) masterful recording of Aphra Behn's short novel Oroonoko: or, the Royal Slave. Interesting (but flawed) story, beautifully read .
Saul Stokar
Raanana, Israel
:clap:
(p.s. I have not PM'd the reader myself)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Bill Mosley (Bill Mosley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you so much for reading The Life of Philip Melanchthon. Please
please please read The German Reformation by Leopold von Ranke. I would
record it myself, but my voice is too scratchy.

Alice
Washington, DC
All of Bill's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Ms Savage,
I am deeply grateful for the sacrifice of time and energy that you must have made to offer your talents to the public! This is not the first time I chose your version of a book. It feels as if you wrote the words! In comparison to other volunteers honest and well meant efforts, you out-shine and inspire! Thank you for using your ability to become the characters and draw me into this other world!!!
Tonia- on Adirondack NY vacation
and...
Dear LibriVox,
I wish to thank Karen Savage for her wonderful reading of 'Mansfield Park’ by Jane Austen. It is a long book and the language is complex, but Ms Savage rendered it throughout with such precision and feeling that it was entirely enjoyable and comprehensible.
I can only congratulate her on attaining such a very high standard of reading ability. Long may she continue.
‘Scarlet Pimpernel’ next. I haven’t read it since I was thirteen. And please let us know where we can get one of Ms Savage’s sweaters!
Sincerely,
Thomas (London)
All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!