ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

jennlea wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:10 pm Have the videos of the last couple Zoom Meetings been posted anywhere? I haven't been able to attend lately. The subjects covered (including the one today) seemed interesting and I would like to watch them. One day I hope to get back to attending the meetings!
Hi, Jenn, indeed you are missed. The last 2 or 3 videos need editing and since Windows deactivated their Windows Live Movie Maker which I knew very well, I haven't been able to find a free one that works as I like it. It's on my list of things to do. Later this evening I will try to post this one, which I hope doesn't need editing.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

In case you hadn't seen it, the new (also free) replacement is called "Clipchamp - Video Editor", and you can get it for Windows 10 or 11 from the "Microsoft Store" app.
I have a hard time saying it works the same, but it is relatively simple and has tutorials on YouTube and its own site, so... worth a shot.
msfry

Post by msfry »

redrun wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:27 pm In case you hadn't seen it, the new (also free) replacement is called "Clipchamp - Video Editor", and you can get it for Windows 10 or 11 from the "Microsoft Store" app.
I have a hard time saying it works the same, but it is relatively simple and has tutorials on YouTube and its own site, so... worth a shot.
Yes, I have been working with Clipchamp, but it is so imprecise in its snips and I can't get the tags to work, so I've about given up. Why, why, why would Microsoft do away with WLMM? It makes no sense but cry as I might, they still have not brought it back. :cry: :cry: :cry:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 3:38 pm
redrun wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:27 pm In case you hadn't seen it, the new (also free) replacement is called "Clipchamp - Video Editor", and you can get it for Windows 10 or 11 from the "Microsoft Store" app.
Yes, I have been working with Clipchamp, but it is so imprecise in its snips and I can't get the tags to work, so I've about given up. Why, why, why would Microsoft do away with WLMM? It makes no sense but cry as I might, they still have not brought it back. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I used the pro version of the Movavi Video Editor for several years and loved it. When my laptop crapped out on me, I lost it in transition and it would cost $75 to buy a full new version. I have no current need for video editing so I'm not going to replace it.

But, Movavi has a FREE on-line video editor which should handle the simple things needed for Zoom recorded video... clipping segments, adding some titles, etc.
Here is the link https://www.movavi.com/online-video-editor.html

Suggestion 1: when you start recoding our zoom sessions, you are given the option of recording to "the cloud" or to "This computer". I HIGHLY suggest that you choose the latter option. You'll find that in addition to the MP4a video file, you'll also get the audio track.

Audacity can load an .mp4a video file and will allow you to edit that audio track. So, bad words or sentences can be silenced.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, I'll give Movavi a try.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I actually did download Movavi and the trial expired before I got to work with it. The online version has a maximum allowable video length of 30 minutes. :(
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: October 6th, 2022, 7:43 am I actually did download Movavi and the trial expired before I got to work with it. The online version has a maximum allowable video length of 30 minutes. :(
Pay the $75 would be my suggestion.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sorry I missed this one - was down with a nasty head cold. Looking forward to watching it when I get my computer back!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I am learning clipchamp, the new free video editing program from MincroSoft, and it looks good so far.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:15 pm I am learning clipchamp, the new free video editing program from MincroSoft, and it looks good so far.
Let me know if you can make precise snips, and add titles and comments. I can't.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:28 pm
philchenevert wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:15 pm I am learning clipchamp, the new free video editing program from MincroSoft, and it looks good so far.
Let me know if you can make precise snips, and add titles and comments. I can't.
Yep, I will let you know :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 11:57 am
Vary playback speed: Using Audacity, PL'ers can vary the playback speed of an mp3 file up to 3x, using the slider in the header bar, without affecting the time stamp. Further research reveals that this only activates if you hit the green playback arrow next to the slide bar. To restore speed back to 1x, double click the slide bar and type in 1.
I've been comparing Audacity's Playback Speed Slider with the Tempo Effect, which we discussed in the October 3rd Zoom session for the purpose of "speeding up the file for faster PL'ing", and each has its merits. The slider keeps the time stamp the same as the original, but speeding up the voice just x1.25, makes it sound like Donald Duck is talking. That's fine for notating missing text, long silences, etc, but doesn't do much for enjoyment of the reader's performance. The Tempo effect speeds up the readers voice without appreciably affecting voice quality, but shorten's file length, so the time stamp is no longer valid -- rendering it rather useless to the PL'er for notating where any mistakes are.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

One (clunky) way to work around that would be to use Analyze > Label Sounds on the file before changing the tempo.
When you would mark a timestamp, instead mark the "Sound ##". Then you can reopen the original file and use Label Sounds again (or just Undo the tempo change), and you'll have an easy way to find the paragraph, if not the sentence.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

msfry wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 3:38 pm Yes, I have been working with Clipchamp, but it is so imprecise in its snips and I can't get the tags to work, so I've about given up. Why, why, why would Microsoft do away with WLMM? It makes no sense but cry as I might, they still have not brought it back. :cry: :cry: :cry:
And, to go full circle on the video editor... there are other alternatives (Kdenlive is open-source, similar to Audacity), but it looks like it's still possible to get Windows Movie Maker on Windows 10 and 11!
Archive.org has a copy of the installer, which was published with permission to redistribute. You probably want to un-check the boxes so that only Movie Maker is installed, but it seems to work!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Michele. I have Windows Movie Maker on my PC and it is fully functional. 2012 version. Is this what you are talking about? Perhaps it is still available ?
EDIT: the post above this one probly can get y ou there. I am running Windoes10