New Multilingual Monthly Poetry Project

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

Ah, OK, Isad, merci.
Souvent je trouve ces projets déjà en cours, et trop tard...
Bon... je suis le fil... OK.

Bonne journée !
Christiane.
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: June 6th, 2022, 6:43 am Hi,

Why not a woman now :D

It's quite difficult to find one with an international reputation. I thought of Marceline Desbordes-Valmore (1786-1859).

For exemple « Une lettre de femme ». And I found 2 translations.
Hello! If you can propose a poem by another female poet which has somewhat similar idea to this one, we can combine them into one project. I tried finding some from Ukrainian and Russian, but their translations aren't in the PD. Maybe you know some from other countries.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
Isad

Post by Isad »

Anastasiia,

I tried to find poems in French in the public domain of Marina Tsvetaïeva / Tsvetaeva / Zwetajewa (1892-1941) who lived in several countries or Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) ... and I couldn't find any !

Women poets of the 19th century have only recently been translated :roll:

If you want a poet translated into Ukrainian or Russian, the best thing is to look from these languages ​​for poets known internationally :hmm:
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

OK, don't know how much it will complement the poem by Marceline Desbordes-Valmore. I've found one by Ada Negri (1870-1945)
  • Italian (original) - Hai lavorato? link
  • English - Hast Thou been working? translated by Adelheid Maria von Blomberg (1863-1949) link 1898
  • German - Hast du gearbeitet? translated by Hedwig Jahn (?-?) link 1900
  • Dutch - Hebt gij gewerkt? translated by Juta, Betsy (Elisabeth Maria Adriana) (1871-1906) link 1896
  • Ukrainian - Ти мені признався, що мене кохаєш... translated by Pavlo Hrabovsky (1864-1902) link 1899
I wasn't able to find Russian translation (don't know if there is one). I am not sure about French translation: usually it is difficult for me to find other languages (which I don't know) if it isn't in Archive or Google Books. I've found that there should be Fatalité: poésie lyriques translated by Mélanie Marnas (Melle.) but I wasn't able to find it.

P.S. I found the collection Fatalità in Armenian, can't tell if there is this poem until Google provides full access to the book. But is there someone who can read it in this language? I doubt it. :hmm:

P.P.S. Ivan Franko has a poem named "A love card" (Une carte d'amour). I thought it would be great to complement "A Woman’s Letter" with it, but I wasn't able to find any PD translations. :(
~Anastasiia
Isad

Post by Isad »

Ada Negri : I find some articles and poems about her in antologies but not this one in French :oops:

Ivan Franko : nothing found in french :roll:
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: August 28th, 2022, 1:29 am Ada Negri : I find some articles and poems about her in antologies but not this one in French :oops:
Seems like her "Fatalité: poésie lyriques" can be found only in libraries (maybe). I wonder why it is this way. :hmm:
~Anastasiia
Isad

Post by Isad »

ShiNeko wrote: August 28th, 2022, 6:06 am Seems like her "Fatalité: poésie lyriques" can be found only in libraries (maybe). I wonder why it is this way. :hmm:
Wikipedia reports that Fatality was partially translated into French by René Bazin (1853-1932). This book "Fatalité. Poésie lyrique" cannot be found online :oops:

So, I sent an e-mail to the association of friends of René Bazin which put his writings online to find out more :D
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

Isad wrote: August 29th, 2022, 12:54 am
So, I sent an e-mail to the association of friends of René Bazin which put his writings online to find out more :D
So exciting! Thank you)
Isad

Post by Isad »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: August 29th, 2022, 1:00 am So exciting! Thank you)
Yes. Fun and fruitful research :9:

The association of friends of René Bazin, the mentioned translator, don't know about this work of translation and this book. They sent me other documents :roll:

The Wikipedia's contributor contacted write the references needed in the french Negri's page :thumbs:

The seller of the french book Fatalité says that there is no indication of a translator but this poème (As-tu travaillé ?) is there :clap:

So, I am going to buy it. I'm curious to know this poetess :D
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 5:27 am The seller of the french book Fatalité says that there is no indication of a translator but this poème (As-tu travaillé ?) is there :clap:

So, I am going to buy it. I'm curious to know this poetess :D
Hurray! Thank you, Isad!

P.S. I've tried to find something in Spanish but I don't understand whether any of her poems were translated into Spanish as I found no collections nor antologies. As for Russian - there are some but not this one. Meanwhile, Google gave access to Armenian book, but I don't understand what is in there. :lol: Tried to reach one Armenian-speaking volunteer who was online in January, hoping for the best.
  • Polish - Czy Pracowałeś? translated by Gabriela Jundziłłowa / Gabor(?) link p. 85 of the pdf file (1900)
~Anastasiia
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Found Russian translation:
Трудился ли ты? translated by "В.Ш." (I think this is Vladimir Shulyatikov) link 1899 link right to the poem

P.S. Also found this edition in Google Books, will need to wait until they give access to it. Here.

EDITED: The poem in Google books is another translation:
Работал-ли ты? by Aleksander Emelianov
link 1900.
~Anastasiia
pvmg

Post by pvmg »

Hello, I love this idea but I can't find any public domain translation in Greek. Could someone help me ?
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

pvmg wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:14 am Hello, I love this idea but I can't find any public domain translation in Greek. Could someone help me ?
Hello! I'd like to help, but unfortunately I can't read Greek which makes it difficult for me to look for the translation. I'll try though. Actually, it would help if you can find whether there is a translation which might be in the PD (I mean whether it was actually translated by someone before the year 1927 or around it). Meanwhile, maybe there are some more Greek-speaking volunteers you can engage in the search?
~Anastasiia
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have looked extensively for a Greek translation for Ada Negri, and I haven't found one.

In my search I found some Greek translations of the French poem Le Lac by Lamartine. Maybe it can be considered for a future collection.
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

I'd encountered an interesting poem by Théophile Gautier but haven't been able to find it in English or French yet. Here is it in Ukrainian:

Не жалкуйте за тим, що покинули,
Чим себе розважали в нудзі!
Чи жили ви на світі, чи гинули,
Сміло в очі дивіться грозі!

Ви, що світло розносите по світу,
Розумієте тайни життя,
Після мук, після довгих літ досвіду
Навертайте других до пуття.

Якщо серце, потужнене вірою
Не злякаєиься смерти, то йдіть
Та ще й нас животворною силою
Тої віри жо щастя ведіть.

І не буде нічого таємного
Перед вами; все стане ясне;
Над безоднею неуцтва темного
Промінь дня золотого свіне.

(the last word is "to dawn", Google translator might translate it incorrectly in this form)

Maybe someone meanwhile will be able to find it, using Google translate.
Last edited by ShiNeko on November 12th, 2022, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Anastasiia