ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

loon wrote: September 26th, 2022, 2:03 pm A possible Zoom topic might be Audacity 3.2.

The big new feature is real-time effects, which will allow you to back out of an applied effect gracefully without undoing other edits done after adding the effect. My personal take is this version is not quite ready for general use, as the effects are not bundled with the program yet - also the availability of a given effect might depend on your hardware and OS.
Are you volunteering to give us a tour?
loon

Post by loon »

msfry wrote: September 26th, 2022, 2:19 pm Are you volunteering to give us a tour?
I want someone to show me what's going on - LOL.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Looks like they have some basic docs (with links to where to find those new plugins) here, but this guy's got a demo that might be more illuminating on how to actually use it.

I can't be there Monday, but hope this helps!
msfry

Post by msfry »

redrun wrote: September 26th, 2022, 3:54 pm Looks like they have some basic docs (with links to where to find those new plugins) here, but this guy's got a demo that might be more illuminating on how to actually use it.

I can't be there Monday, but hope this helps!
We could tour the video and other demos together. Loon or I can share the screen and everyone else can bark out orders. :wink:
loon

Post by loon »

msfry wrote: September 26th, 2022, 4:30 pm
We could tour the video and other demos together. Loon or I can share the screen and everyone else can bark out orders. :wink:
[/quote]

I installed it briefly and took a quick peek, then removed it again. I'm mid-dramatic reading edits - not a time to be changing software!
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

That sounds great. I’ve been holding off installing it, wondering what the extent of the changes are, so I’d appreciate any kind of introduction/orientation to get me started.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The Powder of Sympathy by Christopher Morley (humorous short essays on a wide range of topics including literature, Buddha, cars, New York, Oxford, recipes, and the inner life of a dog named Gissing)
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Assume there's a Zoom meeting scheduled for this coming Monday (Oct. 3rd) at 11 Central Time. Will Michelle be providing treats?
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:58 pm Assume there's a Zoom meeting scheduled for this coming Monday (Oct. 3rd) at 11 Central Time. Will Michelle be providing treats?
I will not be installing the new Audacity for awhile. Are we having a Zoom this Monday at 11 central?
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:00 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:58 pm Assume there's a Zoom meeting scheduled for this coming Monday (Oct. 3rd) at 11 Central Time. Will Michelle be providing treats?
I will not be installing the new Audacity for awhile. Are we having a Zoom this Monday at 11 central?
I plan on it and will post an announcement tomorrow. Hope to see you there. You'll be our treat. :D
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I’m hoping to come! I have a work meeting just prior to it.

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
msfry

Post by msfry »

Posted to Announcement Thread:

First Monday's Zoom Meeting is happening at 11 a.m. CST on October 3, 2022.
Host: Michele Fry
Topic: Everything about PL'ing. How thoroughly do you proof your recordings before you submit them. What do you expect of your DPL? As a proof listener, how do you approach your job? Who manages the MW?

To join the Meeting use this link, (good for all First Monday's hosted by Michele)
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84452418640?pwd=SEhCb1lhWStjejhYSXhYL1VTRHMzQT09

Please note, this meeting will be recorded and stored on our Zoom Videos YouTube channel. You may sign in 5 minutes early to check your audio and video settings. Adding your preferred handle, and your librivox username would be helpful.

Help spread the word. Feel free to invite an LV friend to attend.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Wish I could attend! We'll be on the road somewhere between Orofino, ID and Coeur d'Alene, ID but I'll see if we might be able to stop and set up a hot spot. Dicey proposition at best.

I've been DPL for over 200 projects over the years - learned a lot (mostly by making mistakes), but maybe just as much by DPL's I've had for my many BC projects and reading. Great topic, Michele!
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hope you can make it Larry. Your expertise would be much appreciated.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks to the 10 attendees at this morning's zoom session to discuss various aspects of PL'ing. Everyone had something colorful to add, and there were some especially useful tips:

Project Status Table. Located in the Wiki, here's where you can locate projects needing a DPL, updated weekly. In the Wiki search bar, typing in "status" or "project status" will take you to a page with the link in it.

Vary playback speed: Using Audacity, PL'ers can vary the playback speed of an mp3 file up to 3x, using the slider in the header bar, without affecting the time stamp. Further research reveals that this only activates if you hit the green playback arrow next to the slide bar. To restore speed back to 1x, double click the slide bar and type in 1.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Have the videos of the last couple Zoom Meetings been posted anywhere? I haven't been able to attend lately. The subjects covered (including the one today) seemed interesting and I would like to watch them. One day I hope to get back to attending the meetings!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings