How much time do you spend?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I have only be active on here for a few months again, but I am finding myself wanting to do all the things. I see some of the really active users on here and think, "Well, why can't I contribute as much?" And then I look at my life and think, "Well, they can probably contribute more time per day than I can..."

Right now, I'm probably average 30 minutes a day on actual LibriVox volunteering (but more than that just reading the forums in random moments snatched here and there). Right now, that's all aimed at PLing, but hopefully in a week or two I'll be back to recording and editing as well.

I think I wish I could spend about 2 hours a day--but that's not going to happen in the near future.

How much time would you estimate you spend actually doing the volunteer work here?

Just curious,
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Hi Stephanie,

I am an early retiree and can therefore freely dispose of my time. I spend about 30 hours a week here (including recording, PLs, forum, admin stuff, preparations, etc.) and have something meaningful to do and not just hanging around in front of the TV. 8-)

However, the number of hours everyone spends here has nothing to do with the quality or usefulness of each individual's work. :wink:

To write a book you need many letters and each one is equally important. :9:

Greetings from Germany. :)
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Thanks, lorda, that does help! I’ll be a lowly “x” over here…not used too often, but exactly what’s needed at times! :lol:

I just re-read my post and I’m embarrassed by all the typos. :oops:

Anyway, I’m interested in this, and who knows what will happen down the line for me!

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I spend about 40 hours a week doing lots of things, mostly book coordinating and recording. Of course I'm retired. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I spend a lot of time on LibriVox. I don't think I want to know exactly how much... :wink:
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I spend less time here than I'd like, and less time than I used to. Back in the day, I went in to work in the afternoons/evenings, and so I spent most mornings doing things around here. At that time, I'd say I was easily doing 15-20 hours a week. Nowadays, I have more of a regular 9-5 type schedule, and I'm usually pretty beat when I get home. I think I'm definitely down to less than 10 hours a week now.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I joined because I intended to proof listen an odd project or 2 - and I'm still here. But I find the good thing about it is that if something comes up in real life I just need to tell people I'm offline for a bit and everything is taken care of, no matter how long that bit is :D
Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I notice only admins have answered so far. C'mon, everyone else!

(I'm choosing not to incriminate myself with answering the original question. Let's just say I'm on here long and often.) :P
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

OK, I'll bite.

I spend, on average, about 8 to 10 hours a week, recording/editing and proof-listening at LibriVox (LV), over the past 9 years. I'm a low volume producer of recordings (compared with others), and I'd do more if I had the time, but I also volunteer at Distributed Proofreaders (PG), spending about 5 times as much time there (40 to 50 hours a week) creating ebooks for Project Gutenberg (PG).

Both these activities take up most of my retirement time. :lol:
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Not being retired, I spend probably too much time on LV, for the short while I've been here. I have to remember to get out and exercise on my lunch breaks, rather than using them to look for new projects and submit PL notes! Of course, with winter coming, that will change soon...

I imagine I'll seasonally increase and decrease the time I spend, especially on recording, but will probably have at least 4 hours a week in all but the very busiest times... but I'll plead the fifth on how much it is now.
Though, the time spent PLing for experienced soloists hardly counts, does it? :wink:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I joined last February, and I probably spend at least a couple of hours a day on Librivox (recording, editing, browsing the forum, reading stuff to see if I might like to record it). I'm retired, so I have plenty of free time and this is a great way of volunteering without leaving home. I recently finished my first solo novel, and am casting about for another, but I also do short stuff (poems, short stories, chapters). Like Don, I also volunteer for Distributed Proofreaders, but I only spend a couple of hours a week there. Librivox is more fun!

As the weather gets colder and I can't spend as much time out on my bicycle, I might find myself spending even more time here. One day, I might also consider book coordinating.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The Powder of Sympathy by Christopher Morley (humorous short essays on a wide range of topics including literature, Buddha, cars, New York, Oxford, recipes, and the inner life of a dog named Gissing)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

All you retirees are making me wish I was old enough to retire! It sounds lovely having that much time at your disposal. On the other hand, I love my job, so I think I don't mind keeping it a little longer... :wink:

(What's another two decades, anyway?)
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

mightyfelix wrote: September 29th, 2022, 8:46 pm All you retirees are making me wish I was old enough to retire! It sounds lovely having that much time at your disposal. On the other hand, I love my job, so I think I don't mind keeping it a little longer... :wink:

(What's another two decades, anyway?)
I was thinking very much the same! I was also considering how hobbled we’d be without their efforts. Thanks for all you all do. :clap:
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes