Suggest a "Staff Pick" for archive.org

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you, sounds interesting!

As for "bad form", well, if it's not the BCs who suggest their books, who else will? ;-) No worries about that!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

if one can include blind authors, we could use something by Homer as an example or Milton's huge Paradise Lost, since he was blind while he dictated most of it to his daughter. But maybe you only want it as topic, not authors. :hmm: Of course we also have a biography of Milton: https://librivox.org/milton-by-thomas-babington-macaulay/ which might fit the bill better.

I also found 5 lectures on Blindness, might be interesting: https://librivox.org/five-lectures-on-blindness-by-kate-m-foley/

And this one claims to be about real-life success stories of people with different disabilities: https://librivox.org/the-privilege-of-pain-by-caroline-kane-mills-everett/

there are also many books about Beethoven, who was a composer even when he became deaf. We have Volume 1 of his Life in two versions already. Volume 2 still seems to be missing though so I'm not sure how much his deafness will be dealt with. But there are other books who may have included the full life.

of course, the children's classic Heidi comes to mind, one of the central figures was in a wheelchair after all. But we probably had Heidi multiple times already.

does Kaspar Hauser count ? He was probably mentally challenged, but it was the result of his mistreatment in early years: https://librivox.org/kaspar-hauser-by-paul-johann-anselm-ritter-von-feuerbach/

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Sonia!

Totally forgot about Beethoven...
I also thought about Kaspar Hauser - deprivation in early childhood has indeed long-lasting effects.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I completely forgot about the Oedipus trilogy—the seer is blind and pretty important to the story!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for this month, thanks for your many suggestions! Please have a look at this page for the current pickings. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers.

Everything's slowing down in November when winter is coming, so let's have the topic
Quiet and slow

I'm looking for books that talk about quiet nights, solitude, being alone, coming to a halt; stuff that makes you think perhaps, dark themes are welcome,.... As long as it's not super exciting I guess. :lol:

Especially welcome are suggestions of plays and poetry!
And, as always: All languages welcome!

Suggest away! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Not a book, but if a short poem is fair game, a recent fortnightly is particularly on theme:

Lockerbie Street
https://librivox.org/lockerbie-street-by-james-whitcomb-riley/
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for this month, thanks for your suggestions! Please have a look at this page for the current pickings. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers.

From the slow and quiet November to the frantic frazzle of December and

Christmas!

I'd like to have books concerning Christmas, religion, spirituality, philosophy - preferably with an uplifting tone to the whole, so hold the fire and brimstone for this one. ;-) Any language, any creed, any shape, size and form. Surprise me. :D

Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Epachuko

Post by Epachuko »

Hi there!!

Well, in spanish I found three suggestions already in the catalogue:

- spanish versión of the mega classic A Christmas Carol:https://librivox.org/el-cantico-de-navidad-by-charles-dickens/
- Cuentos de Navidad y Reyes de Emilia Pardo Bazán, a very nice collaborative project! https://librivox.org/cuentos-de-navidad-y-reyes-by-emilia-pardo-bazan/
- La Navidad en las Montañas de I. Altamira, sbout a soldier Who come back for Christmas. https://librivox.org/la-navidad-en-las-montanas-by-ignacio-manuel-altamirano/

Cheers!
Grabaciones de Epachuko
Colabora leyendo secciones en español con nosotros en el foro Readers Wanted Languages other than English Recuerdos de mi vida (Ramón y Cajal) El Periquillo Sarniento- Cuentos valencianos - Primer romancero gitano
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sounds good! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Better late than never!
The staff has picked for this month, thanks for your suggestions! Please have a look at this page for the current pickings. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers.

January is approaching quickly... time to come up with

New Year's Resolutions

I'd like to have books concerning change, new beginnings, health, sports, food, hobbies,... whatever strikes your fancy, as long as it fits into the "resolutions" theme somehow. Or is there something special you do in January?

Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Availle wrote: December 6th, 2022, 11:31 pm Or is there something special you do in January?
I personally haven't tried that, but maybe there's a vegetarian cookbook in the catalogue for "Veganuary", a trial of the vegan lifestyle during January.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We have a short story "The Vegans were curious", but somehow I have the feeling the contents is not what you're looking for...
https://librivox.org/great-explorers-in-space-by-various/

We do have a few books on vegetarianism, which is a start. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:18 am
Availle wrote: December 6th, 2022, 11:31 pm Or is there something special you do in January?
I personally haven't tried that, but maybe there's a vegetarian cookbook in the catalogue for "Veganuary", a trial of the vegan lifestyle during January.
Librivox's v*gan cookbooks are truly godawful, though.

Seriously, vegan cooking back in the 1920s was dire. There's an awful lot of "eat only tapioca" and locally there's a lot of weird stuff like "We must learn to love tomatoes, if we do not wish the continent of Australia to fall to the Chinese." even in carnist cookbooks. It took Indian cooking getting its hooks in during the 60s for Western vegans to make food that doesn't just look like sadness on a plate.

(Other vegans - yes, I know, Greeks, Japanese. I'm oversimplifying.)
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: December 11th, 2022, 6:05 am "We must learn to love tomatoes, if we do not wish the continent of Australia to fall to the Chinese."
... because the Chinese have a natural aversion to tomatoes? Maybe that's the reason they haven't invaded Italy yet? :mrgreen:

Seriously, that is really weird reasoning.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for this month, thanks for your suggestions! Please have a look at this page for the current pickings. You can also check out our (soon to come) wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers.

In February, we celebrate Valentine's Day pretty much all over the planet. So, let's go for this as a theme:
Happy Valentine!

I'd like to have books about romance. And love. And happy endings. And cute anythings.

Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com