New Multilingual Monthly Poetry Project

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Isad

Post by Isad »

Hi,

Why not a woman now :D

It's quite difficult to find one with an international reputation. I thought of Marceline Desbordes-Valmore (1786-1859).

For exemple « Une lettre de femme ». And I found 2 translations. In a French academic publication, I read "In Russia, the work of Desbordes-Valmore was already known in the 30s of the 19th century. Translations were not necessary, French being the language of the Russian nobility, Marceline was therefore read in the text. Among his immediate readers, even in the 19th century, we can name Mikhail Lermontov and Alexander Pushkin, the two great Russian poets." ... but there may have been translations.
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

CSCO wrote: January 12th, 2022, 4:12 am
Hello!
Maybe you'd be able to find the Japanese PD translation for the current poem? I know there should be one published in 1911 and translated by Anonymous. The journal title is mentioned something like "Tan-hin".
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

How do you find out if a poem has other translations? Aimlessly googling doesn't seem to be helping me much, don't know if I'm missing something and there's an easier way or if this poem just doesn't have translations. And if you do find translations, how do you know if these translations are in the public domain?
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Inkell wrote: August 11th, 2022, 4:08 am How do you find out if a poem has other translations? Aimlessly googling doesn't seem to be helping me much, don't know if I'm missing something and there's an easier way or if this poem just doesn't have translations. And if you do find translations, how do you know if these translations are in the public domain?
Hello Inkell!
Usually I just use Google translate for the title or several lines of the poem and look it up, using the Google search. After finding translations and the translators I try finding the PD version (publication of 95 ago) if the author's years of life seem probable of having PD publications. With Sevchenko I had a cheating list (a list of translators and publications).
~Anastasiia
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ShiNeko wrote: August 11th, 2022, 5:29 am Hello Inkell!
Usually I just use Google translate for the title or several lines of the poem and look it up, using the Google search. After finding translations and the translators I try finding the PD version (publication of 95 ago) if the author's years of life seem probable of having PD publications. With Sevchenko I had a cheating list (a list of translators and publications).
Okay I'll try that, thanks! One of them is a bit awkward as the English title is Latin and trying to search for translations just had it keep trying to translate the Latin, not sure if the Latin remains in other translations (if they exist) so I'll try some lines and the title of the other one
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Inkell wrote: August 11th, 2022, 6:36 am Okay I'll try that, thanks! One of them is a bit awkward as the English title is Latin and trying to search for translations just had it keep trying to translate the Latin, not sure if the Latin remains in other translations (if they exist) so I'll try some lines and the title of the other one
Yes, this can be a problem. Also I had a problem with "The conflict" looking for the English translation as the title was changed by the translator (should have been "Fight" or "Battle"). Sometimes a translator goes without the original title but the first line. So usually several first lines and author's name can lead us to finding a translation. But some translations can be rea-a-ally unpopular, so one should try hard in finding them, especially if they are in journals or papers. For example, if I didn't know that "Testament" had a Spanish translation in the certain publication I doubt I would have ever found it, though the issue and pages were wrongly stated.

P.S. you can also ask for help from your fellow volunteers who know other languages. :wink:
~Anastasiia
Isad

Post by Isad »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: June 5th, 2022, 6:57 am Kazbek offered Derzhavin's ode "God".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_(Derzhavin_ode) This article says there are some French, Latin and Japaneese tranlsations.
In french this long and famous poem is here : https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Dieu_(Derjavine) translated by Elim Mestscherski (1808 – 1844) ... but it is about god :roll:
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: August 11th, 2022, 7:38 am In french this long and famous poem is here : https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Dieu_(Derjavine) translated by Elim Mestscherski (1808 – 1844) ... but it is about god :roll:
I have my doubts about this poem: it is quite difficult for understanding and reading. :hmm:
~Anastasiia
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ShiNeko wrote: August 11th, 2022, 7:35 am Yes, this can be a problem. Also I had a problem with "The conflict" looking for the English translation as the title was changed by the translator (should have been "Fight" or "Battle"). Sometimes a translator goes without the original title but the first line. So usually several first lines and author's name can lead us to finding a translation. But some translations can be rea-a-ally unpopular, so one should try hard in finding them, especially if they are in journals or papers. For example, if I didn't know that "Testament" had a Spanish translation in the certain publication I doubt I would have ever found it, though the issue and pages were wrongly stated.

P.S. you can also ask for help from your fellow volunteers who know other languages. :wink:
Interesting, I had no idea they'd be so hard to found, I guess I assumed they kept records of this kind of stuff for some reason.

Well the poems I was thinking of suggesting were "Dulce et Decorum est" by Wilfred Owen, may be a bit too grim as it has horrible imagery of soldiers dying in World War 1 but it was the first poem I ever had to study (not sure why they went with this for a bunch of 10 year olds) and always stuck with me, the other is "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost, if anyone knows about translations for them
Isad

Post by Isad »

Inkell wrote: August 11th, 2022, 8:18 am Well the poems I was thinking of suggesting were "Dulce et Decorum est" by Wilfred Owen
Wilfred Owen (1893-1918 in France).
War and sadness.
Anonymous translation in french : https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulce_Et_Decorum_Est
Inkell wrote: August 11th, 2022, 8:18 am the other is "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost, if anyone knows about translations for them
I don't find french traduction. Nice poem but Robert Frost (1874-1963) is not in public domain :hmm:
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

For Dulce et Decorum Est I managed to find a few translations but not enough that I think it would work as a project so nevermind.

For Snow Evening I could find more translations but nothing about the translators, some even look like modern websites where people are translating so the translations might be useless. If the poem is not in public domain anyway then I guess it doesn't matter but I checked the catalogue and there are some listings for Robert Frost works so I assumed it would be okay, the poem was published in 1923 and I thought US copyright (that Librivox goes off) was 95 years after publication but I could be wrong.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time
Isad

Post by Isad »

Hi,

New suggestion : The infinite by the Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837) : a hymn to the imagination, the elsewhere, the past, the sound of life, ......

Original langage : Italian « L’infinito » (1819) : https://archive.org/details/imgAIII1157abMiscellaneaOpal/page/n25/mode/2up?q=infinito

I have already found 3 translations in French : And : And more langages here : https://archive.org/search.php?query=Giacomo%20leopardi
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

Bonjour Isad,

J’adore lire Léopardi.
Puis-je participer ?

Bonne journée !
Christiane Jehanne.
Isad

Post by Isad »

Bonjour Christiane,
ChristianeJehanne wrote: August 15th, 2022, 5:32 am J’adore lire Léopardi.
Puis-je participer ?
C'est un projet global d'Anastasiia qui choisit un poème avec le plus de traduction possible parmi les propositions :D
Fil à suivre donc ...

Bonne journée,
Isad