Librivox books on sale

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hi

I guess this is no big deal. All the books we record are in the public domain. However, it is a bit annoying to see books I've recorded available for sale all over the Internet. The only alterations appear to be, dropping the librivox and public domain statements.

Can this be stopped?

Cheers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Can this be stopped?
No.

I think it was Audible where they did care for a while, and would take down works people showed to be from LV. But they don't care anymore.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

The ethics might make us sour.

But that is what a public domain license allows. I am not so unhappy about it if someone adds extra content such as a video or puts it in a song; we have some people who are songwriters who have given us links to their use. Legally any use is permitted with public domain content; thanking LibriVox is common courtesy but even that is not required.

I am not a lawyer etc but this is my extremely simplified copyright TLDR:

think of copyright as a spectrum. You start off with what is fully copyrighted. Suppose someone wants to use We are the Champions by Queen in a commercial production. They would have to contact who has the rights and get their permission. Then permission could be given for a degree of free use or a royalty would be required. Then there are various licenses that require a sliding scale of less permission. Then at the bottom of the table is public domain: no permission of any sort is needed. Indeed, you can legally sell anything that is in the public domain.

Note that is a VERY simplified summary. People do entire degrees as lawyers just on copyright law.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

What you can do if you find one of our offerings for sale anywhere is to add a comment that this is a librivox recording that's available as a free download elsewhere. And give a very, very low rating to the thing. ;-) Depending on the platform, the seller may not be able to delete comments like these and you may prevent others from paying for something we provide for free.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Availle wrote: June 30th, 2022, 3:56 am What you can do if you find one of our offerings for sale anywhere is to add a comment that this is a librivox recording that's available as a free download elsewhere. And give a very, very low rating to the thing. ;-) Depending on the platform, the seller may not be able to delete comments like these and you may prevent others from paying for something we provide for free.
Good thinking!