The Cost of a Solo

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Does anyone else feel selfish for doing solos when they could be a collab that gives more people a chance to record?

I shouldn't feel that way. But it gnaws at me. Maybe I am just weird.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No guilt here. There are plenty of group projects available. It's not like readers have no choice or opportunity. :)

Plus, I often find that solos can get released faster than group projects, depending on the motivation of the soloist and group readers. Some group projects get bogged down by people claiming a section, only to have it sit there for 2 months waiting for them to submit their section. So from the perspective of getting things done, it's debatable which type of project has the advantage.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

lightcrystal wrote: April 25th, 2022, 6:48 am Does anyone else feel selfish for doing solos when they could be a collab that gives more people a chance to record?

Selfish ... not at all. My original goal at LV was/is to record solos of the books I produce for Project Gutenberg. Also, my individual preference (as a listener), is to listen to books recorded by one reader ... unless the project is something like a book of short stories, or individual articles. :)

FWIW,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

I've been waiting on a solo, but I'm getting bored. How do I get a solo? I like the dramatic roles, but I zipped through the last one, and I can't find anything that I'd like to do. I've been doing a lot of the same things. I need a kick in the pants to boost my enthusiasm or something!

Carol/Nammy

P.S. I prefer children's books or dramatic roles of young girls. Have I missed any?
Some people think holding on is tough; sometimes it's letting go.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You "get" a solo by starting one yourself. :)

"Want to start a solo recording?", a thread in the Launch Pad, tells you what to do: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
loon

Post by loon »

Also, if you really love a book (enough to want to read it solo) you don't need to worry if a version is already in the LibriVox catalog.

This is "choice of voice" - for listeners and readers.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

lightcrystal wrote: April 25th, 2022, 6:48 am Does anyone else feel selfish for doing solos when they could be a collab that gives more people a chance to record?

Even if there is a solo, there is nothing preventing a group project.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

BEE AND BUTTERFLY
A TALE OF TWO COUSINS
BY LUCY FOSTER MADISON
AUTHOR OF "THE PEGGY OWEN BOOKS," "A MAID OF SALEM TOWNE,"
"A COLONIAL MAID OF OLD VIRGINIA," etc.
ILLUSTRATED BY
ADELIA B. BEARD
CHICAGO
M. A. DONOHUE & CO.
COPYRIGHT 1913
BY M. A. DONOHUE & COMPANY

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33407/33407-h/33407-h.htm

I have found this book that has not been done on Librivox! It wasn't easy to find something that hasn't been done, but I am considering it for a solo. It is rather long, but it would keep me busy so I wouldn't be constantly looking for new things to do.

I also enjoy reading Pollyanna, but that has been done over and over and in various versions. I'd rather do something new, if possible. All of the children's tales seem to have been already done. Any thoughts on doing this one??

Do I absolutely need to buy a special mic and headphones for this? What I've been using has been fine for my regular recordings, and right now, money is a little tight so perhaps this isn't even a good idea. I always come up with ideas, then find reasons why it's not a good idea. I'm standing in my own way, I think.

Carol/Nammy
Some people think holding on is tough; sometimes it's letting go.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Nammy wrote: June 29th, 2022, 7:40 pm BEE AND BUTTERFLY
A TALE OF TWO COUSINS
BY LUCY FOSTER MADISON
AUTHOR OF "THE PEGGY OWEN BOOKS," "A MAID OF SALEM TOWNE,"
"A COLONIAL MAID OF OLD VIRGINIA," etc.
ILLUSTRATED BY
ADELIA B. BEARD
CHICAGO
M. A. DONOHUE & CO.
COPYRIGHT 1913
BY M. A. DONOHUE & COMPANY

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33407/33407-h/33407-h.htm

I have found this book that has not been done on Librivox! It wasn't easy to find something that hasn't been done, but I am considering it for a solo. It is rather long, but it would keep me busy so I wouldn't be constantly looking for new things to do.

I also enjoy reading Pollyanna, but that has been done over and over and in various versions. I'd rather do something new, if possible. All of the children's tales seem to have been already done. Any thoughts on doing this one??

Do I absolutely need to buy a special mic and headphones for this? What I've been using has been fine for my regular recordings, and right now, money is a little tight so perhaps this isn't even a good idea. I always come up with ideas, then find reasons why it's not a good idea. I'm standing in my own way, I think.

Carol/Nammy
A lot of direct dialogue in this book. If that's what you like to do then go for it! You don't need a special microphone or headphones. More important is to be comfortable with your DAW.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You definitely don't need any extra equipment. What you've been using is just fine. :thumbs:

It looks like a cute book. Your next step will be to follow the link that Tricia gave you a few posts up. That will explain to you how to set up your solo and what to expect once it's set up.
mattm

Post by mattm »

When I first started I was anxious that a certain group project I was very interested in contributing to might be entirely claimed before I could get myself ready to start my recording career. So please don't feel guilty for not claiming sections in group projects!