In Memoriam

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks for letting us know Algy - Anne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Peter frequently contributed to the Poetry Collection. He'll be missed...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Algy Pug wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:45 am More sad news.

I have just received a message from Cathy Riley, the wife of Peter Thomlinson (lurcherlover), that Peter passed away on 10th June, after a long battle with cancer.

Members will remember not only Peter's many recordings, which include some brilliant solo renditions of works by Edgar Wallace and Andy Adams, but also the technical advice and encouragement he so generously shared with other readers.

A great loss.
Sorry to hear this.

Algy, if you could possibly get his birth year, we'll add the info to his catalog name.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

TriciaG wrote: June 20th, 2022, 5:02 am
Sorry to hear this.

Algy, if you could possibly get his birth year, we'll add the info to his catalog name.
Peter was born in 1940.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Availle »

Thank you, Algy. I've added a paragraph about him in the first post.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

We have received a note from Tom Hirsch's wife that sadly Tom (Thirsch on the forum) passed away a few weeks ago.
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for letting us know; I've added a short paragraph to the first post of this thread.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:03 pm We have received a note from Tom Hirsch's wife that sadly Tom (Thirsch on the forum) passed away a few weeks ago.
Oh, this is a great loss! I was DPL for one of his solos, and some collaborative projects. I will always remember his unique voice and the joy it was to work with him. :(
~ Larry
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:03 pm We have received a note from Tom Hirsch's wife that sadly Tom (Thirsch on the forum) passed away a few weeks ago.
So sad, and such a shock. I was DPLing his last solo, and had wondered why he hadn't submitted a chapter in the last couple of months (as he was such a regular contributor).

My deep condolences to his loved ones,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We have received news that Richard Kilmer (rkilmer), a long-time reader, passed away last May:

"I wanted to let you know that my husband, RICHARD KILMER, died on May 13, 2022. He loved recording for Librivox so did I.
I am so thankful that we got the chance to experience it all. Keep up the good work!"
https://librivox.org/reader/4078
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

I'm familiar with Richard's voice for his contributions to the 12 volume set of The Pony Rider Boys series. He had a fantastically clear and dynamic voice, and produced a sizeable volume of work for Librivox (2948 sections on 172 projects) since he joined in June 2009. He will be missed.

I hope we have a way to forward these belated condolences to his family.

That said, May was quite awhile ago. Let this be a reminder to us all to give a few family members instructions how to contact Librivox if we become incapacitated or pass away. I suspect very few of us have personal friends on LV with whom we are in regular touch outside of LV. How do non-members contact Librivox?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

We have an email account info[AT]librivox[DOT]org, where anyone can contact us with questions, news, etc.
Jo
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

And, those who are left are in mourning. Informing LibriVox in a timely manner may not be at the top of their mind right after someone has passed. Let's let people grieve, and inform us when the time is right for them.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
msfry

Post by msfry »

icequeen wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:26 pm And, those who are left are in mourning. Informing LibriVox in a timely manner may not be at the top of their mind right after someone has passed. Let's let people grieve, and inform us when the time is right for them.
Well, of course, supposing they know how to contact us.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

I just wanted to say I feel it's a good thing and very professional to change the reader names to reflect the years of their lifetime. I feel this thread is an excellent idea also. It is good to see these things handled so well. It's a comfort to know.