Do You Think of Who will Listen?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

There have to be people somewhere who listen to audio books because, sadly, they can't do many other things. People who are sick and basically bedridden. It could be Covid. It could be some other condition. They could listen to music or watch videos. But they could also be listening to some of our recorded works. Audio works even if someone is too tired/sick to keep their eyes open enough to watch a screen.

While reading do you have any picture of who could be listening?
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

EDIT: Whoops, I misread the question and my answer below is to be ignored. Instead of who I think will listen to my recordings in the future, I mistakenly thought you meant who I picture listening while I record. Hence, the muddle below. Just keep moving folks, nothing to see here .......

Sure. For any remotely children's books I picture my children as they would sit around me listening to me read the Hobbit way back when. This keeps me on my toes. For anything else, especially science fiction, I don't picture anything specific except that they are probably listening in their car on cheap headphones.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Yes, I have that idea.
I myself came into contact with Librivox when I could hardly move after a stroke and was also almost blind. The audio books helped me to get through the day.

Fortunately I have recovered so much that I can now give something back.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

No, not at all.
I have enough to do trying to decipher the meaning of the text and not bungling the pronunciation while doing so, thank you so much. :D

I discovered LV when I had to drive 2 hours 3 days a week in a country the language of which I didn't speak - and all I could get on the highway was talk radio... So I decided to listen to all those classics that you need to have read as an "educated person" (which of course, depends on the country you live in...) And after a while I thought "hey, I can do that too!" And here I've been ever since. :)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mattm

Post by mattm »

Sometimes I try to get in the mood by imagining that I am at a bar with a particular friend, telling them the story. But usually when I am reading I have a vague sense of being on a stage, without really picturing anything.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I try to read as I would like to hear the work myself ... but often fail, especially when I'm trying for different voices for my characters.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I do always try to feel I'm reading to someone who may be a little hard of hearing or not used to my accent - just like I try not to use Australian slang when I post . So I read a little more clearly and a little more slowly than my normal speech

Anne