ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: May 15th, 2022, 4:50 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: May 15th, 2022, 4:19 pm Hoping we’ll be able to have a Zoom get together the usual first Monday of the month. Maybe I’ll actually have done something LibriVoxy by then.
yep. June 6th. 11 am and 11 pm. I will post the link, hopefully the same one as before, in coming weeks. :D

lightcrystal... did you say 'now i'm cooking with gas"? Havent heard that in a long time. It was my mom's favorite saying :D
It's common for my British family relations to say that they are cooking with gas. But I see that it has trans Atlantic value. :D
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Possible themes for an upcoming zoom session:

How do you choose material to solo, or BC.
What authors do you like to record, and why?
What attracts you to read sections on open LV projects?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

msfry wrote: May 16th, 2022, 7:18 am Possible themes for an upcoming zoom session:

How do you choose material to solo, or BC.
What authors do you like to record, and why?
What attracts you to read sections on open LV projects?

Good list. We could probably add something like "How to pick material to record/DPL/BC without being overwhelmed."
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I'd like to remind everyone that next Monday, June 6th, we will be hosting a Zoom session for beginners and/or everyone. 11 am and 11 pm

Yippeee! :thumbs:
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86925213441
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I plan to be there. Hope some newbies participate, too.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

MaryinArkansas wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 1:26 pm I plan to be there. Hope some newbies participate, too.
I can always count on you Mary. But as for newbies, not much expectation there. :D
loon

Post by loon »

I'll see if I can make it to one or the other.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Ol' Bill has it on his calendar.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

I've been inviting people who work with me on my projects. Here's what I say:

Every "First Monday of the month" we hold a get-together Zoom session at 11 a.m. CST, and 11 p.m. CST, just to chat, share information, ask questions, etc. I'd love to see you there. You can join in by following the links on the Zoom Announcement Thread or the Zoom Discussion Thread. These forums can be found on the Suggestions, News, Comments Discussion Forum.

Feel free to copy and paste. These are rather hard threads to find. I feel sure more people would come if they knew how to get there.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

msfry wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 2:25 pm I've been inviting people who work with me on my projects. Here's what I say:

Every "First Monday of the month" we hold a get-together Zoom session at 11 a.m. CST, and 11 p.m. CST, just to chat, share information, ask questions, etc. I'd love to see you there. You can join in by following the links on the Zoom Announcement Thread or the Zoom Discussion Thread. These forums can be found on the Suggestions, News, Comments Discussion Forum.

This is a good idea, Michelle, assuming that we continue these monthly Zoom sessions. It looks like a good way to get more people to join. Is this something that could be added to a Welcome to LibriVox post, even if just temporarily?

msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: June 4th, 2022, 7:11 am This is a good idea, Michele, assuming that we continue these monthly Zoom sessions. It looks like a good way to get more people to join. Is this something that could be added to a Welcome to LibriVox post, even if just temporarily?
First we'd have to prove that it is sustainable, which it would be if more people showed up! Perhaps a generic Occasionally could replace any date or time specific, just an announcement pointing to the Discussion Thread.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote: June 4th, 2022, 7:31 am
MaryinArkansas wrote: June 4th, 2022, 7:11 am This is a good idea, Michele, assuming that we continue these monthly Zoom sessions. It looks like a good way to get more people to join. Is this something that could be added to a Welcome to LibriVox post, even if just temporarily?
First we'd have to prove that it is sustainable, which it would be if more people showed up! Perhaps a generic Occasionally could replace any date or time specific, just an announcement pointing to the Discussion Thread.
Well, of course it is sustainable, all it takes is one person to pop open a zoom session once a month; not much work or commitment required at all. The question for me has been "is it useful" "is it adding something to librivox that is helpful to newcomers?" and of course, 'will they join?". The answer over the past 2 years has been a muted 'no'. Last year I committed to doing six monthly sessions from January to June to test whether scheduled regular sessions would slowly build up awareness and use but also the answer has been a simple 'no it has not'. Very few people show up. This is not bad or sad, it just indicates that what appeared to be a great new way to help new people won't work as it is structured now. Even the great promise of teaching stuff via zoom sessions has proved ungainly and simply too complicated compared to simple videos that can be watched at any time and don't require scheduling and remembering dates.

So the session next Monday will be the last monthly one that I will host. Please don't advertise them unless of course, you want to host them. Which is a great idea by the way! Individual zoom session like Michele has been doing may be the way to go. I am personally focusing on tried and true methods like making videos. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

My point, Phil, is that it hasn't been well advertised that I know of. Newbies have no way of knowing we exist. And that's what we're talking about here. Perhaps our threads would do better in the Need Help Got Advice forum, instead of Comments and Suggestions, where even I have trouble remembering where they are.

And as to hosting, every show needs a dynamic person who can entertain and provide levity. So far, that's been YOU. Most Zoom sessions I've been on, in every venue, have closed early without a "media-type" personality to keep it bouncing along.
smike

Post by smike »

Remind me again, what time is the 11am session in Europe? 6pm?
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

smike wrote: June 6th, 2022, 7:06 am Remind me again, what time is the 11am session in Europe? 6pm?
In just under 2 hours.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine