'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for y2kdaddio (Tom Weiss) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
The Jungle
https://librivox.org/the-jungle-by-upton-sinclair/

Many thanks for your excellent reading of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I enjoyed listening during a weekly drive to see my mom. It took a few weeks, but I always looked forward to the next audio track.

As an English Lit major (many years ago!) I was, of course, familiar with the basic theme of the story. Finally, in my 71st year, I listened to your wonderful recording. The tone of your voice and delivery style made each listening track a treat to hear.

Thank you for bringing Sinclair's story to life! [Yours is the only Librivox recording!] Your gift of time and talent is much appreciated.

Bud
Dover, Delaware.

All of Tom's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ezwa (Ezwa) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Merci infiniment Ezwa pour votre enregistrement des Liaisons dangereuses de Pierre Choderlos de Laclos.
Je suis un étudiant Suisse et celui-ci m’a beaucoup aidé considérant que le livre fait 500 pages. Vous n’êtes pas l’unique lectrice mais votre apport m’a paru si conséquent que je ne pouvais vous remercier. Vous êtes claire et votre voix est un réel bonheur à écouter.
Je vous souhaite une bonne continuation.

J’espère que ce petit message trouvera bon port étant donné que l’enregistrement de ce livre n’est plus tout jeune et que je ne sais pas si vous faites encore parti de Librivox.org. Si tel est le cas, merci encore.

Dylan

All of Ezwa's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Talespinner (Daryl Hanson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Daryl Hanson for your reading of the 1964 novel The Radio Beasts by Ralph Milne Farley (https://librivox.org/the-radio-beasts-by-ralph-milne-farley/). I enjoyed it. Sometimes your voice as narrator or as Yuri has an uncanny resemblance to the voice of Wilson Fisk (Vincent D'Onofrio) in the Daredevil series, which provided additional gravitas for me. <g> I look forward to listening to more of your work. Thanks!

Jon
Alexis, NC

All of Daryl's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for anneflebari (annie70) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Just finished listening to your reading of ‘Sally on the rocks”. Wonderful! Your Miss Maggie was insidious, odorous, despicable! Totally delicious. I so wanted to just ring her neck! 😄 Thank You for reading for us, so much appreciated!
Evelyn

All of annie70's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kasiapatrycja (Katarzyna Słodkowska) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Katarzyna,

I would like to say big thank you for your wonderful reading of Bruno Schulz „Sklepy cynamonowe”. I liked your voice very much and would like to ckeck if you have recorded any other pieces of Schulz text?

Kind regards,

Marlena

All of Katarzyna's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for neckertb (Nadine Eckert-Boulet) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Bonjour Mme Eckert-Boulet

Je voudrais vous remercier pour votre lecture des 5 premières parties des Mystères de Paris.

Grace à vous j’ai pu découvrir cette saga et l’apprécier à sa juste valeur. J’ai été enchantée et transportée par tous ces personnages que vous interprétiez si agréablement.

Je sélectionne maintenant majoritairement mes livres audio selon leur lecteur et vous êtes vraiment de celles qui font vivre n’importe quel roman

Encore merci

Géraldine

All of Nadine's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Roger (Roger Melin) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank and compliment Roger Melin. He is one of the best readers I have ever come across.

I have downloaded practically ALL the books he reads. His voice is very clear and unrushed, he does not keep changing the speed. It remains constant and does not
sound like a speeding train.

He also does not suddenly change his tone, it remains at a pleasant listening tone which is completely audible for someone who has hearing problems.

Roger Melin is definitely an asset to Librivox. Keep it up! I do wish he would read some of Agatha Christie mysteries, namely those of Poirot. I think he would
do marvelously at these!

Regards

Nettie

All of Roger's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for icequeen (Ann Boulais) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ann,
Several years ago I was fortunate enough to come across the Mystical City of God writings. After some research I purchased all four volumes and set to work reading them. Shortly after starting Volume I it became apparent that the goal I had set before me was going to take forever as the small print was taxing and very tiring to my eyes. It occurred to me that perhaps some good soul had actually been inspired to record the writings. Well Ann, that was you!
I deeply appreciate the dedication and timeliness you have given in recording all four Volumes! They are a part of my life every day!
Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPad
Sandy

All of Ann's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MARTIN GEESON (Martin Geeson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi there,

I have a lot of tedious work to do, and the only thing that keeps me sane while doing it is listening to audiobooks. I’ve just been listening to a section of Ann Radcliffe’s The Mysteries of Udolpho, which was read by Martin Geeson, and I was struck by how soothing and comforting his reading style is. He makes the story very easy to follow, but beyond that, I find his voice and manner of speaking particularly agreeable. And these days, I find so few things agreeable that I thought I should mention it.

Joe

All of Martin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ScottSandyEggo

Post by ScottSandyEggo »

For Simon Evers

Novel:
Duchess of Wrexe

Dear Mr. Evers,

I am just one of the many fans around the world who listen to your vocal artistry.

Suspecting that you are quite aware of what you bring with your skill craft and talent, I will skip the flattery and simply express my profound and personal appreciation for your hard earned gifts.

As well we both probably know, true art is never truly achieved by the gifted, but by those who work harder than all others to perfect their craft.

Carlos Santana once said about playing great guitar that it’s not about what you play, but it’s the serious reflection and thought that you put into your solos before you even touch your instrument. He describes his guitar solos as spirited conversations between different characters, each with a big personality. Question and answer, for short solos. Storytelling for the longer ones.

And, he said, “You have to practice! Practice! Practice Man! Then play with Passion!”

And so, I will accuse you of similar practices. And similar abilities. You interpret something that has been said a thousand times over. Just much, much better. With passion.

I just wrote a review of your latest contribution to the Librivox catalog, “The Duchess of Wrexe” using a similar musical metaphor. No sense in repeating myself here.

I am writing this letter to personally thank you for all the hundreds of hours that I have spent listening to your incredible work. Thank you, deeply and sincerely.

I am an old man who has lived a big life. However, illness left me severely disabled a dozen years ago. A couple years ago the doctors wrote me off, and sent me off to hospice to die.

But I have fooled everyone, except my friends and family who believed in me. Now I am actually making a recovery that other physicians call “one in a thousand”. However, it is not a miracle. Just terrible hard work, patience, and determination.

And so I leave you, Mr. Evers, with my above two paragraphs as qualification for my sincerity, thanks, and appreciation.

Cheers Then,

Scott
AKA Scott in Sandy Eggo
AKA Scotty Baby in The Scott Brothers Band

Ps. It’s 85 degrees (um, Fahrenheit) here today in sunny Southern California. We have the Super Bowl coming up this Sunday. I imagine that you’re in England somewhere. In one of my early adventures, I hitch hiked across England for three weeks, staying only with the new friends that I met along the way.

Pss. I correspond with David Crowther of the “History of England” podcast. I am an Anglophile of sorts, who loves serious history and The Beatles.

PSs. End of Chapter One. This was not a Librivox recording.
Scott in Sandy Eggo
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Recording for Librivox can be a lonesome, dispiriting enterprise. Our listeners might not be aware of this, but Librivox volunteers know it all too well. We pour ourselves into recordings that often go unrecognized or unacknowledged. For this reason, I'm going to start giving shout-outs and plaudits to folks whose audiobooks I'm listening to at any given time. I'd even briefly considered creating an alternate "thank you" thread where volunteers can sing the praises of other volunteers, but I'm not sure if the mods would find this superfluous or unproductive (and frankly, it would probably add to their already-huge workload). So until then... I'm going to post in here from time to time to thank some of our volunteers as I discover new items in the back catalogue.

First up is Alan Winterrowd (Boomcoach), who recorded Judith Lee: Pages from Her Life way back when. The book itself is a lot of fun, and Winterrowd does a great job of bringing some of these propulsive pulp adventures to life. I'd intended on just listening to a single chapter a night before going to bed, but the quality of the recording and the material was so great, I've been chugging along pretty consistently since downloading it. Thanks Alan! :clap:
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
david wales

Post by david wales »

And we should note that Simon Evers recording of the Duchess Of Wrexe has been listed in the audiobook section of the Hugh Walpole website:

https://hughwalpole.com/
Peace, David
simonevers

Post by simonevers »

Thanks for letting me know this, David. You obviously enjoy Hugh Walpole, as I do. I'm currently doing the next one in the series called 'The Green Mirror'.

Best wishes

Simon
david wales

Post by david wales »

I noticed that the other day and notified the website curator (also a Simon). When you finish it up, I will let him know that fact.

I got onto Hugh Walpole purely by accident. My first book of his was the biography of Joseph Conrad and things just went on from there ...

And I should say that I plan to record Jeremy at Crale after January 1st.
Peace, David
Bahram

Post by Bahram »

Thank you dear professor Elizabeth Klett for reading "The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles".

I enjoyed listening to this audio book!
Bahram