Important Warning about Reaper version 6 and a solution.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I feel conscience bound to post this.

I am changing from Audacity to Reaper to do my vocal recordings. Yesterday I spent all day trying to get rid of a weird "echo" that happened in my records and renders. It ruined all of my attempts to record. I tried to change settings. I tried a different Linux Audio system; Jack didn't change it. I scoured endless forums and other people had the same issue but couldn't solve it. People suggested that it was latency or a bad driver.

Today I found out what's going on. It wasn't me. It was that in Reaper version 6 Reaper by default sets the "monitoring echo" to aid musicians who want to hear their music as they play. But this is atrocious for us. There is hope! I stumbled on the YouTube Channel "REAPER for Voice Talent". Go to the video "Recording in REAPER on a PC - REAPER DAW Tutorial". It shows how to turn off this "monitoring echo" permanently!

Don't thank me. Thank Steven Gonzalez instead! Thanks a lot Reaper. Cockos have lost all credit from me for this. One more piece of nonsense like this and I will be looking elsewhere. I wasted a LOT of time not knowing what the heck was going on; the last time that I used Reaper before version 6 this didn't happen.
I'm a geek. I wreck my computer. Then I fix it.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

xxx
Last edited by lurcherlover on January 24th, 2022, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Things may get reset to default after a major update. If you go to Reaper Preferences>General you can generate a configuration file that you can simply import with all of your preferred settings. Good thing to have if there is another update or you have to reinstall the app.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page