Add filtering by language in user interface.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
johannesgh

Post by johannesgh »

When I open an author's page, such as Plato or Aristotle, I see a menu on the left to select if I want to view recordings that are solo, group efforts, or "all" to see both kinds.
I don't think it would be very complex to implement, but would be very beneficial to the end user, if the same could be done with the available languages.

From my (somewhat limited) understanding of web design, I gather that if this were done in javascript, the processing would all take place on the end user's computer,
and would therefore not significantly increase server load, while being quite a bit more convenient for those of us who don't understand all languages.

If there is no professional web designer around to do this, I think I could probably figure it out, since there is already a model for it in the aforementioned preexisting filter,
and I have done quite a bit of programming, and some web design, and I would volunteer to do this if needed.

What do you guys think?
Is there any reason this would not be a good idea, that I'm missing?
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

If you use Advanced search from Search the Catalog (https://librivox.org/search?primary_key=0&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results), you have a lot of options to filter your search.

Greetings, Bernd
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think it makes sense, especially for those authors who have works in a lot of languages.

I'll add it to the developer "to do" list over at Github.

Added: https://github.com/LibriVox/librivox-catalog/issues/131
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

lorda wrote: December 12th, 2021, 9:04 am If you use Advanced search from Search the Catalog (https://librivox.org/search?primary_key=0&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results), you have a lot of options to filter your search
Hi Bernd.
On this and some other phpBB boards I frequent I have had problems with the search URLs generated by Advanced Search for at least ten years.
One of the first searches I made on my arrival here (just two weeks ago) was to filter in/out languages based on LibriVox's excellent convention of using languages enclosed in square brackets as in [GERMAN], [FINNISH] as well as other keywords.

The generated URL that comes from Advanced Search seems to break after three terms are introduced, often does not recognize the negation operator, and is incapable of a compound condition such as {remove | reduce } AND { Click | Hiss | Noise | POP}.

All is not lost, and I am trying to set up improvements with a designer via phpBB forums, but that may take a while.

In the meantime I just left a post here.

Cheers
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

ChrisGreaves wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:20 pm Hi Bernd.
On this and some other phpBB boards I frequent I have had problems with the search URLs generated by Advanced Search for at least ten years.
One of the first searches I made on my arrival here (just two weeks ago) was to filter in/out languages based on LibriVox's excellent convention of using languages enclosed in square brackets as in [GERMAN], [FINNISH] as well as other keywords.

The generated URL that comes from Advanced Search seems to break after three terms are introduced, often does not recognize the negation operator, and is incapable of a compound condition such as {remove | reduce } AND { Click | Hiss | Noise | POP}.

All is not lost, and I am trying to set up improvements with a designer via phpBB forums, but that may take a while.

In the meantime I just left a post here.

Cheers
Chris
Hello Chris,

the problems you mentioned (searching etc.) are not related to LibriVox customizations, but rather to peculiarities of the phpBB system. Therefore, it is certainly more purposeful to contact the phpBB developers to solve these problems.

I for my part, used the forum only to inform me about new projects or new messages in existing threads. And that works very well with the currently offered tools.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and greetings from Germany,
Bernd
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

lorda wrote: January 15th, 2022, 10:55 pm...but rather to peculiarities of the phpBB system. Therefore, it is certainly more purposeful to contact the phpBB developers to solve these problems.
Thanks, Bernd.
Yes, definitely a phpBB problem, as I can duplicate the problems on each phpBB site to which I belong.
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!