Zoom LibriVox Chit Chat - This Friday!(Oct22)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Everybody. YES, YES, YES!!! I am hosting 2 ZOOM LibriVox chit chat sessions this coming Friday Oct 22: 11 am central time USA and 9 pm central time.
USA. (You will have to figure out your own time zone) Image

This is your PERSONAL invite to drop in. Yes I'm talking to you! Both sessions if you want. Let's see what those admins look like and talk about this great place called LibriVox ImageImage

Join Phil's Unofficial Zoom LibriVox Gossip Session
times: 11 AM Central and 9 PM Central. Friday, October 22nd, 2021
link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8840814632
agenda: None, I just thought it would be nice to chit chat about our joys, frustrations and what we are working on in Librivox. Oh, and our pets and families.
how long?: 30 - 60 minutes or until we get tired talking
times: 11 AM Central and 9 PM Central time, USA.

Note there are two times because the world is indeed round, not flat and people are available at different times around. I am awake at those two times and will open each session a bit early and if nobody joins I will talk to myself for 10 minutes and go away sad to sit in a corner because nobody loves me. :D Let's see what we look like.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Find your own time: Session 1
Noon Central works out to:
Moscow Fri 7:00 pm
London Fri 5:00 pm
Seattle Fri 9:00 am
Tokyo Sat 1:00 am
Sydney Sat 3:00 am
Perth Sat 12:00 midnight

Find your own time: Session 2
9 PM Central works out to:
Moscow Sat 5:00 am
London Sat 3:00 am
Seattle Fri 7:00 pm
Tokyo Sat 11:00 am
Sydney Sat 1:00 pm
Perth Sat 10:00 am
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

We had a nice session at 11 am but the 9 session was not possible because my internet decided to crash. Anyway, here is a video of the morning session https://youtu.be/QWakf8K6RpA Everyone agreed to r ecording i think. We certainly have some talent in our LV community! :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm watching the video of the last chat. :)

Michele - regarding the group

Ingersoll Lectures, Famous People
https://librivox.org/group/627

There can be a short description about the group. See this one as an example:
https://librivox.org/group/598

If you want, you can let me know what you'd like to put. :)

Also, do you want the title changed to Ingersoll Lectures of Famous People?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Also, we'd love to have the API fixed! The problem is finding someone to spearhead it, and competent people to fix it.

Here's the Github issue on it: https://github.com/LibriVox/librivox-catalog/issues/45

We admins cannot lead something we don't understand. I think that's the biggest problem.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Tricia, will you join us tonight? I agree by the way that this the API is far, far beyond my understanding. It classifies as magic in my book. Like that LV Youtube channel, that is impressive how it works..
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sorry - I wasn't able to join in (as you know by now). :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:23 pm Also, we'd love to have the API fixed! The problem is finding someone to spearhead it, and competent people to fix it.

Here's the Github issue on it: https://github.com/LibriVox/librivox-catalog/issues/45

We admins cannot lead something we don't understand. I think that's the biggest problem.
Do you think the good folks at the Internet Archive (which I can testify has a good API) would be able to recommend anyone?
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL DPL 43 27-28
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Possibly.

Part of the issue is working with the languages/platforms we're using here at LV. So while one site may have a bang-up great API, if those programmers don't know whatever code ours is in, they may not be able to help.

And once again, we need someone who knows LibriVox and programming to spearhead it, and someone to negotiate pay (unless it's volunteer work), and I'm not sure who has authority TO pay out funds. :? That's what you get when you have a very loose, decentralized, ad-hoc project!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Watching the latest video....

Michele - the "reader is a soloist in the group project" is probably because the new MC forgot to change the project from a solo to a collaborative in the project's database entry. It's one of those things that get overlooked when converting an abandoned solo to a group project. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Mark: Thank you for all the test recordings you do! And you're spot on about unsolicited criticism. Thanks for sticking with the policy!

BC'ing group projects means you DO lose some control over the final product. You cannot reject readers for bad style or pronunciation. If you feel a section is not understandable, you cannot take unilateral action, but bring it to the MC for a second opinion.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:07 pm I'm watching the video of the last chat. :)

Michele - regarding the group

Ingersoll Lectures, Famous People
https://librivox.org/group/627

There can be a short description about the group. See this one as an example:
https://librivox.org/group/598

If you want, you can let me know what you'd like to put. :)

Also, do you want the title changed to Ingersoll Lectures of Famous People?
Yes, thank you. I'd like the group title to read Ingersoll Lectures on Famous Freethinkers, and the description to say:
"These lectures are taken from the 12 volume Dresden Edition of the collected lectures, speeches, essays, letters, eulogies by Colonel Robert G. Ingersoll, called in his day "the Great Agnostic", and the foremost champion of the Freethought Movement of the 19th century.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:19 pm Yes, thank you. I'd like the group title to read Ingersoll Lectures on Famous Freethinkers, and the description to say:
"These lectures are taken from the 12 volume Dresden Edition of the collected lectures, speeches, essays, letters, eulogies by Colonel Robert G. Ingersoll, called in his day "the Great Agnostic", and the foremost champion of the Freethought Movement of the 19th century.
Done. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: October 28th, 2021, 5:07 am
msfry wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:19 pm Yes, thank you. I'd like the group title to read Ingersoll Lectures on Famous Freethinkers, and the description to say:
Done. :)
Me = :D
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I wasn't able to sit in on either of the most recent Zoom sessions, but enjoyed watching them on YouTube.

I appreciate the work that Mark, Phil, Michelle and many others put into readings. Reading is not my strong point, so I tend to stick to short non-fiction. A couple of months ago I picked a short piece, thinking it would be easy. By the time I got to the second sentence, I had stumbled over half the words. There was one phrase that I had a lot of trouble with and when I mentioned it to my husband, he said it should be easy to say. When I showed it to him and had him read it aloud, he stumbled over it, too. I think until a person actually records something aloud, he/she may not realize that it is much more difficult to read aloud than to one's self.

Whenever I DPL anything by a reader with a thick foreign accent (which has not happened very often) I compliment them on their proper pronunciation of certain words, then provide them with the proper pronunciation on words that they've mispronounced. So far it has resulted in improved readings. Years ago I had a couple of friends from other countries...Thailand and Brazil...who had learned English in school. Both thought that they spoke it quite well. However, when each came to the U.S. as young adults and heard actual Americans talking in their daily environment for the first time, each of them said that they almost burst into tears and thought, "Oh my God! I thought I could speak English, but I have no idea what this person is saying!" Reading aloud can be difficult for some people, especially if they're reading in a different language than their own, so I think consructive criticism can be very helpful.

I've often referred new readers to Mark's Zoom video on narrating and review it myself when I've been stumbling over words. Gosh, I guess that's any time I record something! :)

Anyway, I enjoy the Zoom sessions. Hope I can sit in on the next one.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚