The LibriVox "Blurb"

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I understand the need for "This is a copyright free..." disclaimer, but why does it have to be at the beginning of every chapter of a book? Couldn't it just be part of the first chapter and/or introduction, such as "The recordings of this entire book, published by John Doe Press in 1893, are copyright free, etc, etc" A few years ago I downloaded the poem of "Hiawatha" for my mother-in-law. It wouldn't have flowed very well with the "copyright free" mantra at the beginning of each chapter, so I went to Audacity and deleted the introductions to each chapter, which made the poem flow smoothly.

So, can the introduction be changed for books?

Many thanks!
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

This has come up in the past. There's a nice summary of why it is what it is here. :)

If an individual was interested in only one section of the book (e.g. in a book of short stories), they wouldn't become of aware of the contents of the disclaimer, if it wasn't attached to a recording of each section.

FWIW,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

It’s interesting to read the whys and wherefores of the LibriVox mantra at the beginning of every section. I can certainly understand why it’s needed for collections where each section is a separate story, non-fiction writing, or whatever.

However, when it comes to an actual book…fiction or non-fiction…to me it breaks the flow of the story. Even though I volunteer for LibriVox and understand it (to a point) it still irritates me. The blah, blah blah at the beginning of each chapter is too much like a commercial interruption. When I’m reading or listening to a book, I want the story to flow with just the minimum of “Chapter 3 of…” When I downloaded LibriVox items for my mother-in-law “Hiawatha” was the only one I edited. (I thought about editing out each intro of each chapter of the other books I downloaded for her, but there were more than 100 books, which would have been overwhelming editing.) Anyway, she would ask me…“Why do they keep saying that all the time?”(to be read in a frustrated, elderly Midwestern lady’s voice.)

I know it ain’t gonna happen, but I would personally like to hear the main introduction and explanation about the book at the beginning, then just Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, etc throughout the book, then at the end something like:

“We hope that you enjoyed this LibriVox recording of LibriVox's 8th recording of “Tom Sawyer” by Mark Twain, copyright… Thank you to all of our volunteers from around the world who participated in this project: “Chapters 1, 3, 8 and 16 read by Jane Smith, www.janesmith.com; Chapters 2, 12 and 22 read by John Jones, www.jonejones.com; etc. Book Coordinator: Sam Smith, Meta Coordinator Janey Jones, Proof Listener Patty Poe and Book Cover Designer Kathy King. To learn more about LibriVox or to become a volunteer, please visit….”

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I know it ain’t gonna happen, but I would personally like to hear the main introduction and explanation about the book at the beginning, then just Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, etc throughout the book, then at the end something like:

“We hope that you enjoyed this LibriVox recording of LibriVox's 8th recording of “Tom Sawyer” by Mark Twain, copyright… Thank you to all of our volunteers from around the world who participated in this project: “Chapters 1, 3, 8 and 16 read by Jane Smith, www.janesmith.com; Chapters 2, 12 and 22 read by John Jones, www.jonejones.com; etc. Book Coordinator: Sam Smith, Meta Coordinator Janey Jones, Proof Listener Patty Poe and Book Cover Designer Kathy King. To learn more about LibriVox or to become a volunteer, please visit….”
Eww, no, please, no! :lol:

I listen to some commercial audiobooks, and they have a similar long intro and outro at the beginning and end of the book. I hate it with a passion. The LV one I'm used to. :P
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Yeah, that’s why I wrote “I know it ain’t gonna happen…” Wishful thinking and comments on my part.

ej400

Post by ej400 »

Lol, this is where solo works are nice for those who dislike the intros; "This librivox recording is in the public domain, read by your name." Makes me wonder if there was discussion before about this though, I've ran into older solo's where the long intro was used. So perhaps the short version came later? :hmm:

I remember a few years before I joined LV, and was dreaming of joining, I would "practice" the LV Intro/Outro :lol: But whenever I listen to a LV section, that intro is just natural. I don't know that there would be a way to change it though, as this is what would be needed:

- Chapter/Section & Book Title / Chapter title / Author Name. (And all of those because if there's multiple artists because of a LV collection, the credit to the author has to be given.)
- At least, "This Librivox Recording is in the Public Domain"
- Reader Credits.

...and that's basically what we have now :lol: :mrgreen:

Thanks
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I find it handy when listening. If it's a group project it tunes me into the reader's voice.
And it also gives me a chance to think about the chapter before leaping into the next. Authors expect you to pause between chapters - that's why you usually have to turn a page.
And also to find the off button if I need to stop. :D

Anne
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

ej400 wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:34 pm Lol, this is where solo works are nice for those who dislike the intros; "This librivox recording is in the public domain, read by your name." Makes me wonder if there was discussion before about this though, I've ran into older solo's where the long intro was used. So perhaps the short version came later? :hmm:
Yes! Lots of things changes in LV as the years passed. I remember when the short disclaimer started existing. There was a discussion, very similar to the one prompted in the beginning of the thread, and we got to more or less of a consensus that, in works all read by the same person, we could have a shorter, less disruptive for some people, disclaimer. Same goes for the silence at the end of files, which used to be longer, and many other things that we can noticed changed as the year passed. LV is an evolving creature.
Leni
=================
loon

Post by loon »

annise wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:22 pm I find it handy when listening. If it's a group project it tunes me into the reader's voice.
Calibrating your hearing to a voice - particularly if there is an accent - is a good thing!
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
zachh

Post by zachh »

Even the reader's name is not required in the short intro. In the few solos I have done I say my name at the beginning of the first chapter and my name and location at the end of the last one. For all the intros after the first chapter I just say "This Librivox recording is in the public domain".
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The reader's name is never required to be recorded anywhere. Many people do not include it in their recordings.

Anne
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

Perhaps the blurb could be tweaked a little? Viz...

"This, and all Librivox recordings, are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, visit librivox dot org."
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Why do you think that is better than what we have? It is impossible to change ones in the catalogue so I'm all for consistency unless there is a very good reason for change.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It would save maybe 1.5-2 seconds. *shrug*
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

annise wrote: December 21st, 2021, 4:49 pm Why do you think that is better than what we have?
It removes the repetition of "...is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings..." It is more concise, which, for me, is better.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune