Suggest a "Staff Pick" for archive.org

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek » June 8th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Catcher in the Rye made quite an impression in a Russian translation when I was a teenager. It was a good translation, and perhaps it got closer to its original impact behind the Iron Curtain, where we were less awash in subsequent first-person unvarnished-yet-idealistic coming-of-age narratives spun under its influence.

I read (listened to) The Great Gatsby much later, in the original. I don't remember much of it, except that the writing was, oh, (cue Mike Myers in his SNL Jewish lady character) like buttah!

Michael

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 8th, 2021, 8:31 pm

Here are some difficult ones. I don't know many people who have actually read Freud, but his work remains important today. Ironically, mental health professionals are relying more on pharmacology than analysis and it is literary studies that seem to turn to him more as a proto-structuralist (if one can label in this way.)

https://librivox.org/author/312?primary_key=312&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
I've pinched a nerve in my neck. Ouch! Things have slowed down quite a bit I'm afraid. My LibriVox: https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13278

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 8th, 2021, 10:16 pm

I read Crime and Punishment as a teenager and couldn't put it down but I have tried several times to read it again and failed, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a world I had never at that stage ever imagined in what I now realise had been a very secure sheltered life.

Anne

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 8th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Sometimes you read a book at just the right time, when you are in a certain emotional or "headspace" that resonates perfectly with the books' message. Those are the books you will re-read over and over again. I guess we all have a few of these. :) And sometime you grow out of it and you don't get why the book was so great in the first place. We all have some of those too.

That's why I like to try books or authors that I didn't like years later. I might have grown into/out of something and I can appreciate the book better the second time around. Haven't tried this with Gatsby yet, but since he's on LV now... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » June 9th, 2021, 4:21 pm

annise wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 10:16 pm
I read Crime and Punishment as a teenager and couldn't put it down but I have tried several times to read it again and failed, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a world I had never at that stage ever imagined in what I now realise had been a very secure sheltered life.

Anne
How I wish those persons who get a theory in their mind that they are "not a flea, but have a right" to take smb's life were obligated to read Crime and Punishment out loud. Sadly enough they appear here and there from time to time, even in Russia.