MARCH Toward the Finish Line - 2019 Cleanup Month!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 44736
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » February 18th, 2020, 8:30 am

adr6090 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:24 am
Hello,
I realize March is the month to assist with uncompleted works so I am checking....
April
Huh?

No, there's nothing official. You're welcome to personally take on this goal, however.
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

linny
Posts: 12730
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » February 18th, 2020, 9:46 am

If anyone still wanted to help with last year's clean-up there are still 3 projects open.

The Deluge (vol 2) by Henryk Sienkiewicz: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65119 Launched Apr '17, 24 of 65 sections open

[Dutch] Naakt Model door C. S. Adama van Scheltema viewtopic.php?f=60&t=56088 Note: This is a play with 2 MALE roles open, and the BC prefers them to be read by men.

[German] Interessante Kriminalprozesse von Hugo Friedlaender: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=59891 Launched Feb '16, 18 of 76 sections open

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 15491
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » February 18th, 2020, 8:30 pm

There are no hard and fast rules, but typically, in past years a clean up month was considered when Readers Wanted gets to be 3 pages and/or Readers Found is on to a second page. Neither of these is the case at present. :) On the other hand, it never hurts for BCs to go through and orphan any long overdue claims to keep projects moving. :wink:
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17145
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » February 18th, 2020, 9:59 pm

linny wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:46 am
If anyone still wanted to help with last year's clean-up there are still 3 projects open.
:hmm: Should I be worried that two out of those three are mine own BC projects? :shock:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 32425
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » February 18th, 2020, 10:19 pm

No, you would just accept that non-English projects have a smaller pool of readers. Though it still pays to keep them up to date.
But maybe I should have checked that they were the Dutch and German ones.

Anne
(and I'm not saying they aren't up to date)

schrm
Posts: 2190
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » February 19th, 2020, 10:05 am

Availle wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:59 pm
:hmm: Should I be worried that two out of those three are mine own BC projects? :shock:
maybe in the lines of: you started unique projects, not the easiest ones, have much patience and ambition and offer group projects for everyone?
:?: 8-)

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words/sentences are clearly missing.
thx!


en: lay down your arms

de: sammlung kurzer deutscher prosa, katerpoesie, allerlei gelehrte

niobium
Posts: 184
Joined: August 15th, 2015, 9:49 pm

Post by niobium » February 19th, 2020, 7:55 pm

at the moment it appears there are a little less than 100 collaborative works in progress and close to 300 solo projects. Im not sure if I can recall what the number was prior to last years cleanup, but it looks like they have averaged out again.

miss stav
Posts: 14567
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:25 pm
Location: Israel

Post by miss stav » February 19th, 2020, 9:53 pm

A clean up is supposed to be fun. To see projects which were not pushed for a while completed is fun. To think how to push projects is fun. To be over ambitious is fun. To see people going out of the way to read things they would not have normaly read is fun. I started here during a clean up month when I was asked to dpl a project I would have normaly not taken because I thought it wasn't my style. I loved it. There were a few more. I think It also unites us as a team and welcomed new volunteers as I was welcomed. However, with all that said, I don't think I can decide when a cleaning month would take place and what the policy about it would be. I cannot decide because I am not the admin who has to catalogue many projects and work hard. I work as much as I think I can. I do what I can. But I understand why admins may decide to make the efert only once in a few years.
Love realistic novels? Try Muslin. Interested in legents? Try Legents Of Saints And Sinners. Want to read about growing up? Try Miss Crespigney.

schrm
Posts: 2190
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » February 20th, 2020, 2:08 am

miss stav wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 9:53 pm
A clean up is supposed to be fun. To see projects which were not pushed for a while completed is fun. To think how to push projects is fun. To be over ambitious is fun. To see people going out of the way to read things they would not have normaly read is fun. I started here during a clean up month when I was asked to dpl a project I would have normaly not taken because I thought it wasn't my style. I loved it. There were a few more. I think It also unites us as a team and welcomed new volunteers as I was welcomed. However, with all that said, I don't think I can decide when a cleaning month would take place and what the policy about it would be. I cannot decide because I am not the admin who has to catalogue many projects and work hard. I work as much as I think I can. I do what I can. But I understand why admins may decide to make the efert only once in a few years.
your thoughts are to the point!
and maybe you motivated me again, stav - thank you!

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words/sentences are clearly missing.
thx!


en: lay down your arms

de: sammlung kurzer deutscher prosa, katerpoesie, allerlei gelehrte

ColleenMc
Posts: 1168
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » February 20th, 2020, 11:52 am

I really enjoyed the cleanup month last year as well, and agree with Miss Stav that the feeling of teamwork and pitching in on projects that have been languishing, even things outside one's normal "comfort zone" was part of the appeal. I'm certainly not demanding one be organized or anything like that, just saying that it was a cool experience to take part in, and I'll definitely be up for it should one happen again.

I also like the suggestion of people trying to do their own little individual "clean up" pushes by looking for the projects that have been awaiting more work the longest and doing a section or two of those every so often!

Colleen

lubee930
Posts: 4656
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » February 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:52 am
individual "clean up" pushes
...I agree. And I seem to recall--probably many years ago now--a simple listing that I once saw that showed each project along with # of completed sections and # open sections--? Maybe like a spreadsheet or something? I can't remember. I'm sure that it is several "laptops" ago for me, so maybe it is still available somewhere but I don't have the link any longer. Or maybe it had to be manually updated and so is no longer done.

At any rate, I recall thinking that it was so helpful. One could look very quickly and easily for, say, all projects with 3 or less sections remaining for completion and then focus on those projects. And, I know--one can open each project and obtain the same info. But I thought that it was really a useful tool.
Kind regards,
Lucretia

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 44736
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » February 20th, 2020, 12:29 pm

lubee930 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm
ColleenMc wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:52 am
individual "clean up" pushes
...I agree. And I seem to recall--probably many years ago now--a simple listing that I once saw that showed each project along with # of completed sections and # open sections--? Maybe like a spreadsheet or something? I can't remember. I'm sure that it is several "laptops" ago for me, so maybe it is still available somewhere but I don't have the link any longer. Or maybe it had to be manually updated and so is no longer done.

At any rate, I recall thinking that it was so helpful. One could look very quickly and easily for, say, all projects with 3 or less sections remaining for completion and then focus on those projects. And, I know--one can open each project and obtain the same info. But I thought that it was really a useful tool.
It has just been revived after a couple years' defunct-ness!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Project_Status_Table
Columns are sortable.

There are two tables; one showing status of Open and Fully Subscribed projects (basically, all that are in the works, group and solo), and one showing a list of projects without an assigned DPL.
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

lubee930
Posts: 4656
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » February 20th, 2020, 1:01 pm

TriciaG wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 12:29 pm
lubee930 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm
ColleenMc wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:52 am
individual "clean up" pushes
...I agree. And I seem to recall--probably many years ago now--a simple listing that I once saw that showed each project along with # of completed sections and # open sections--? Maybe like a spreadsheet or something? I can't remember. I'm sure that it is several "laptops" ago for me, so maybe it is still available somewhere but I don't have the link any longer. Or maybe it had to be manually updated and so is no longer done.
At any rate, I recall thinking that it was so helpful. One could look very quickly and easily for, say, all projects with 3 or less sections remaining for completion and then focus on those projects. And, I know--one can open each project and obtain the same info. But I thought that it was really a useful tool.
It has just been revived after a couple years' defunct-ness!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Project_Status_Table
Columns are sortable.
There are two tables; one showing status of Open and Fully Subscribed projects (basically, all that are in the works, group and solo), and one showing a list of projects without an assigned DPL.
Cool! :D :thumbs:
Kind regards,
Lucretia

ej400
Posts: 2563
Joined: September 24th, 2014, 10:26 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by ej400 » March 16th, 2020, 6:24 am

I don't think there is a right or wrong here, however I think not doing one would be the better decision. There are benefits to doing another cleanup month, but the affect is much weaker the more often it happens, and once a year is too often. I would say I would like another clean up month soon because I have projects needing some cleanup (just look at my signature!) and that aren't moving fast, (at all), but I know that I might be the only one. Everyone can set their own goals on completing projects, and we'll have to wait until another time when things do need picking up.

Post Reply