'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 13th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Mr. Mark F. Smith,

thank you very much for your reading L.Frank Baum the lost princess of oz. I really enjoyed your voice and your method of reading.

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 13th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Praise received for fortmap (gkeeling) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I enjoyed listening to The Recollections of Rifleman Harris (https://librivox.org/the-recollections-of-rifleman-harris-by-benjamin-harris/), thanks for an excellent reading.
Penny

All of gkeeling's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 13th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Praise received for Sarah Bean (Sarah Bean) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you for your clear and expressive reading of The Brothers Karamazov (https://librivox.org/the-brothers-karamazov-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky/). It was a delight to listen to you. The scope of the project is amazing, and we are honored by your labor!

All of Sarah's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 13th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Hey thanks for recording the book "The Children of Odin", it makes a great bed time story!

link to book on librivox
https://librivox.org/the-children-of-odin-by-padraic-colum/

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 17th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Praise received for rkilmer (Richard Kilmer) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Richard--just finished your reading of "The Vanished Messenger". Thoroughly enjoy your reading, in fact, I have listened to several of your readings, all of which I have enjoyed. Let me say thank you for your efforts. I listen at work since I work alone.

If I may make a request, it would be a delight to hear your reading of "A Mating in the Wilds" by Ottwell Binns. A solo by you of his book would be a delight. Please give it some consideration, and again thank you and the crew of LibriVox. Sincerely, Rich

All of Richard's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 17th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Praise received for philchenevert (Phil Chenevert) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Hello again,

Some months ago I listened to Phil's narration / reading of William Tenn's "The Men in the Walls. I enjoyed it so much I purchased the full length book titled "Of Men and Monsters"

In spite of my blind eye I was so intrigued by Phil's reading I wanted the whole story. With a magnification sheet I managed to read the book in spite of my blind eye.

I am curious, because Mr. Chenevert read the abridged version if he would like my copy of "Of Men and Monsters". I'd be happy to send him my copy as a gift. It is still is actively copyrighted so it can't be Librivox material.

If Phil would simply like a good read it would be my pleasure to mail him the book. An Email to me can get it posted.'' "The Men in the Walls" leaves us in a lurch, the novel answers all our questions.

Thanks for all you do.

Tom

and regarding his reading of Gambler's World & The Yillian Way...

Thank you to Phil Chenevert for an excellent rendition of Keith Laumer. These readings really capture the flavour of old science fiction. I have listened to these many times and with great enjoyment. I bet KL would have approved of the reading. I wish more KL was available, when they made him they threw away the mold.

Larry
Salt Spring Island BC

All of Phil's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 17th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Praise received for chiquito_crasto (Chiquito Crasto) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of Cross Currents:

Heartfelt thanks to Chiquito Crasto for his absolutely wonderful reading!

Pam

All of Chiquito's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 17th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Praise received for adonis (Tony Addison) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Mr Addison,

I want to thank you for your tremendous reading of The Brothers Karamazov. It is my favorite book and, I believe, the greatest novel ever written. It's also pretty long. For one person to read the entire thing well, and to stay in character for each person in the novel without resorting to weird voices for each, is an amazing feat. The steadiness of your performance was great, so much so that I quickly got into the flow that you created and never left it. The distinctive or idiosyncratic features of your reading became a natural part of the story. My favorite parts are the Grand Inquisitor, the story of Father Zossima and Ivan's conversation with the devil, and you did them very well. And at the rousing finale to the book, I got choked up.

I listen to Librivox books every day during my Southern California commute, and I have never look forward to traffic as much as I did when listening to your Karamazov.

Thank you again, and best,

Jim

All of Tony's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 17th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Praise received for neustar (Bob Neufeld) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Mr Neufeld,

I wanted to thank you for your wonderful recording of Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad.

After watching the movies, Apocalypse Now, and Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, I decided that I should read the book myself. At the same time, I wanted to take up running to improve my fitness, and so the natural consequence of which, was to listen to your recording while I ran along the Scottish coastline.

Your recording is near-perfect, matching the tone and feel of the book perfectly. I cannot imagine how many takes it must have taken.

The complex nature of the book provided the perfect distraction from the difficulty of running, and your sonorous voice ensured my focus.

I think I will listen to 'A Tale of Two Cities' next, another of your recordings. It is significantly longer, though hopefully by the end I shall in better physical shape again.

Best regards,

Joseph
Scotland, UK

All of Bob's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 17th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Hi,

I would like to thank Karen Savage for reading the Jane Austen books solo. I enjoy them very much, because they are well paced, the voices are realistic and even though I know the books by heart, I can't stop listening.

Thank you,

Hélène

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

adonis
Posts: 1233
Joined: August 27th, 2015, 8:33 am

Post by adonis » March 17th, 2017, 11:40 pm

I don't know if this is appropriate, never having done this, but I'd like to thank Jim for his perceptive thank you for my Brothers Karamazov. Indeed, he (you) selected the best bits of the book as the best - The Grand Inquisitor, Father Zossima, Iven and the Devil, one of my tiny failings as a reader (this was my first big work) was not writing out those titles as chapter headings in case a person wanted to dive in as if into a short story at those points. I am also impressed by your picking out the idiosyncratic nature of the reading and referring to its flow - my choice of voice for the opening chapter was so curious (a misogynistic monk's) I thought it could have put readers off. But that was the nature of the chapter, growing into an emotional flow through all the strands of intertwining craziness and spiritual insight. The accuracy of what you had to say was so broadly correct and spot on, I'm trying hard to think of what you missed. What you couldn't know, I suppose, is that I come out of storytelling - I used to tell traditional stories from the oral tradition in pubs. As my health situation shifted, it became necessary to find stuff I could do by myself in a room (besides the obvious - trawling the Net). So, as it was harder to get out and meet people, I figured I would follow in the footsteps of the depiction of a writer I had read once - the social act of a solitary man (women also included) - and read worldwide on the Web. Thank you for your encouragement (hecause I do occasionally think of taking time out and just reading to myself, or even reading, God save the mark!) as it gives me a reason for going on. (All that about storytelling, by the way, is just to say, as you said, I don't "act" - put on funny voices - the voices rise out of the flow of the story, but pretty consistently, I have to say. Why that should be so, I can't say, but it means I can't give workshops. It also frustrates the people I did a whole load of reading of Shakespeare last year for his four hundredth deathday celebrations. I keep telling them I don't do acting, but they won't believe me. My second most popular item is a Solo Measure For Measure, of all things, where you (I, at any rate) can hear the different differentiated voices rising from the central story - my most popular item, which keeps up the interplay of flow of narrative with the adaptation of same to a variety of characters is Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone. I'm doing a collection of some of Edgar Allen Poe's best stories at present but by all means make a recommendation. I have been known to take them up (the payback for suggesting a short story can be pretty immediate, if I like the short story).)

Sincerely,
Tony Addison.

p.s. I've done the utterly hilarious The Crocodile by Dostoevsky (a slightly different feel from the B. K.) It's in the catalogue somewhere. No pressure. (Also no longterm satisfaction from long drives.)

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11799
Joined: November 22nd, 2005, 10:22 am
Location: Great Britain
Contact:

Post by Cori » March 20th, 2017, 4:57 am

Praise received for MaryAnn from someone posting to my blog: :D
Just wanted to say I’m in the process of listening to MaryAnn Spiegel read “Anna Karenina”, and I love listening to her.

After I finish AK, I will look for other books she has narrated that I would like to listen to.

I have heard a few readers in some philosophical works I’ve listened to who might not have had full command of the perfect reading; but I won’t dwell on that, as this service is wonderful and I’m a huge fan.

Thanks to Ms. Spiegel for her work on “Anna Karenina”.
Anna Karenina
All MaryAnn's work
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

rkilmer
Posts: 3604
Joined: June 24th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Post by rkilmer » March 20th, 2017, 5:16 am

icequeen wrote:Praise received for rkilmer (Richard Kilmer) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Richard--just finished your reading of "The Vanished Messenger". Thoroughly enjoy your reading, in fact, I have listened to several of your readings, all of which I have enjoyed. Let me say thank you for your efforts. I listen at work since I work alone.

If I may make a request, it would be a delight to hear your reading of "A Mating in the Wilds" by Ottwell Binns. A solo by you of his book would be a delight. Please give it some consideration, and again thank you and the crew of LibriVox. Sincerely, Rich
Rich,
Thank you for your kind words. "Thank you" is a phrase that should be used more often in our daily interactions with others. I spent the weekend reading Binns's book and have decided to do a recording of it. Hope to start on it in the next few days. Thank you for exposing me to another author whose works interest me.

Richard Kilmer


All of Richard's recordings!
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." (Martin Luther King Jr.)

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 20th, 2017, 8:41 pm

rkilmer wrote:
icequeen wrote:Praise received for rkilmer (Richard Kilmer) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Richard--just finished your reading of "The Vanished Messenger". Thoroughly enjoy your reading, in fact, I have listened to several of your readings, all of which I have enjoyed. Let me say thank you for your efforts. I listen at work since I work alone.

If I may make a request, it would be a delight to hear your reading of "A Mating in the Wilds" by Ottwell Binns. A solo by you of his book would be a delight. Please give it some consideration, and again thank you and the crew of LibriVox. Sincerely, Rich
Rich,
Thank you for your kind words. "Thank you" is a phrase that should be used more often in our daily interactions with others. I spent the weekend reading Binns's book and have decided to do a recording of it. Hope to start on it in the next few days. Thank you for exposing me to another author whose works interest me.

Richard Kilmer


All of Richard's recordings!

I sent you response on to Rich! Thanks Richard!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18149
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » March 20th, 2017, 8:43 pm

adonis wrote:I don't know if this is appropriate, never having done this, but I'd like to thank Jim for his perceptive thank you for my Brothers Karamazov. Indeed, he (you) selected the best bits of the book as the best - The Grand Inquisitor, Father Zossima, Iven and the Devil, one of my tiny failings as a reader (this was my first big work) was not writing out those titles as chapter headings in case a person wanted to dive in as if into a short story at those points. I am also impressed by your picking out the idiosyncratic nature of the reading and referring to its flow - my choice of voice for the opening chapter was so curious (a misogynistic monk's) I thought it could have put readers off. But that was the nature of the chapter, growing into an emotional flow through all the strands of intertwining craziness and spiritual insight. The accuracy of what you had to say was so broadly correct and spot on, I'm trying hard to think of what you missed. What you couldn't know, I suppose, is that I come out of storytelling - I used to tell traditional stories from the oral tradition in pubs. As my health situation shifted, it became necessary to find stuff I could do by myself in a room (besides the obvious - trawling the Net). So, as it was harder to get out and meet people, I figured I would follow in the footsteps of the depiction of a writer I had read once - the social act of a solitary man (women also included) - and read worldwide on the Web. Thank you for your encouragement (hecause I do occasionally think of taking time out and just reading to myself, or even reading, God save the mark!) as it gives me a reason for going on. (All that about storytelling, by the way, is just to say, as you said, I don't "act" - put on funny voices - the voices rise out of the flow of the story, but pretty consistently, I have to say. Why that should be so, I can't say, but it means I can't give workshops. It also frustrates the people I did a whole load of reading of Shakespeare last year for his four hundredth deathday celebrations. I keep telling them I don't do acting, but they won't believe me. My second most popular item is a Solo Measure For Measure, of all things, where you (I, at any rate) can hear the different differentiated voices rising from the central story - my most popular item, which keeps up the interplay of flow of narrative with the adaptation of same to a variety of characters is Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone. I'm doing a collection of some of Edgar Allen Poe's best stories at present but by all means make a recommendation. I have been known to take them up (the payback for suggesting a short story can be pretty immediate, if I like the short story).)

Sincerely,
Tony Addison.

p.s. I've done the utterly hilarious The Crocodile by Dostoevsky (a slightly different feel from the B. K.) It's in the catalogue somewhere. No pressure. (Also no longterm satisfaction from long drives.)

I sent your response on to Jim! Thanks Tony!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Post Reply