help with audacity on MacAir

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
pamlflaherty

Post by pamlflaherty »

Hi
I am using a new MacAir and Audacity 3.1 (newest version) I constantly get message of"not enough room to paste selection" when I am eiditng. I have looked for new default tab under both audacity Preferences and Tracks (and everywhere) and cannot find any Track behavior or default to letting clips move to stop the message-any other ideas? Am I missing something? all suggestions appreciated. thanks! Pam
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

pamlflaherty wrote: August 14th, 2022, 4:42 pm Hi
I am using a new MacAir and Audacity 3.1 (newest version) I constantly get message of"not enough room to paste selection" when I am eiditng. I have looked for new default tab under both audacity Preferences and Tracks (and everywhere) and cannot find any Track behavior or default to letting clips move to stop the message-any other ideas? Am I missing something? all suggestions appreciated. thanks! Pam
I'm using virtually the same setup as you (MacBook Air and Audacity 3.1). When I first started editing and rerecording bits, I occasionally got that message. I've gotten better at estimating the space needed. There's no command involved with this (at least, I've never found one). It's really just a matter of dragging the track to the right far enough with your mouse.

Here's my process. I cut the bit I want to replace (just select it and choose Edit > Cut or Command-X), then split the recording right there (Edit > Clip boundaries > Split). Then I drag the right-hand track far enough to the right to allow space for the replacement bit. Getting that space right is sometimes a bit tricky, but I generally go with way more space than I think I'll need to be on the safe side.

I then go to the end of the recording and rerecord the new bit, make sure it's correct (I might apply noise reduction or clip off beginning or end silences if necessary), then cut (not delete!) the new piece. I minimize all tracks (magnifying glass with the minus sign) until I can see the split I created, and place my cursor at the start of that. That gives a very condensed view, so I maximize all tracks so I can see what I'm doing, and paste in the new bit right after the first track. Because I always overestimate the space needed, there's usually some space left between the end of the new bit and the track I've dragged to the right, so I drag the track on the right back to meet the end of that new bit.

I click where the two lines meet at beginning and end of the new bit to merge the three tracks. Then I place my cursor a bit earlier in the recording and listen to make sure the new piece sounds right in context.

Let me know if any of that is unclear.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Away from my computer March 30 to April 6.

Readers Wanted:
The Powder of Sympathy by Christopher Morley (humorous short essays on a wide range of topics including literature, Buddha, cars, New York, Oxford, recipes, and a dog named Gissing)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Also, there is another way to rerecord content without going to the end of the recording. Shift-record will allow you to create a new track below your existing one, at the spot where you want to place the new bit.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The Powder of Sympathy by Christopher Morley (humorous short essays on a wide range of topics including literature, Buddha, cars, New York, Oxford, recipes, and a dog named Gissing)
pamlflaherty

Post by pamlflaherty »

ThNKS SO MUCH FOR INFORMATION. I found that if I select the part I want to replace, then hit mute, then record right over old track it makes a new track below at the same starting place. Then I edit, copy the new one, and paste it over muted old-track above-it makes tracks magically move? Thanks iso much for getting back to me. Pam
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

pamlflaherty wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:19 pm ThNKS SO MUCH FOR INFORMATION. I found that if I select the part I want to replace, then hit mute, then record right over old track it makes a new track below at the same starting place. Then I edit, copy the new one, and paste it over muted old-track above-it makes tracks magically move? Thanks iso much for getting back to me. Pam
Glad I could help. And now I've learned another trick myself (just muting and pasting rather than cutting and moving the track!)

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: