Breathing

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Quoting Kitty from another post:
I would recommend leaving some kind of breathing in, don't cut out all the breaths. It's human to breathe, only robots don't breathe and a long recording without any natural breathing sound tends to put the listener into uncanny valley.

Sonia

I strongly endorse that advice. You can de-amplify any distracting breathing sounds but, if you don't want to stress the listener out, please don't cut the natural pauses involved in taking a breath.

Best,

Barbara
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I'd add as well that subtle breaths are a part of emotive words. A subtle sigh for instance. I am pro breathing. All these anti-breathing people leave me breathless.
I'm a geek. I wreck my computer. Then I fix it.
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

lightcrystal wrote: July 6th, 2022, 6:27 am I'd add as well that subtle breaths are a part of emotive words. A subtle sigh for instance. I am pro breathing. All these anti-breathing people leave me breathless.
Some of us breathe rather a lot between words and/or loudly and/or with added mouth clicks at the start of the breath when the tongue sinks down and then "detaches" from the floor of the mouth again as you get it in position for the next sentence.
I bet that those Librivoxers who leave their breathing sounds in either don't have this problem, or they've found clever ways to minimise what the microphone picks up (noise gate? special voiceover breathing techniques?). Do feel free to share!
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

SowasVon wrote: July 6th, 2022, 7:31 am Some of us breathe rather a lot between words and/or loudly and/or with added mouth clicks at the start of the breath when the tongue sinks down and then "detaches" from the floor of the mouth again.
I bet that those Librivoxers who leave their breathing sounds in either don't have this problem, or they've found clever ways to minimise what the microphone picks up (noise gate? special voiceover breathing techniques?). Do feel free to share!
For mouth clicks, I use the DeClicker plugin: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52753

I only highlight the clicky area and reapply the effect each time. Otherwise it might take out too many clicks - ones I want, like T and K sounds.

One can adjust the settings; I change the "test frequencies between" lower setting at times to higher frequencies to take out the higher clicks (less likelihood of hitting those K sounds then), then when I want to go back to default, click Manage, Factory Presets, Defaults.

Usually I don't notice even "loud" breathing. Unless one breathes like an asthmatic rhinoceros, it's usually not a problem. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

TriciaG wrote: July 6th, 2022, 7:41 am Usually I don't notice even "loud" breathing. Unless one breathes like an asthmatic rhinoceros, it's usually not a problem. 8-)
Haha! I’m pretty sure I’ve compared my breathing to an asthmatic rhino at some point :lol: :lol:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If a rhino were to read to me a story, I would just be grateful for it, even if they were asthmatic.

Anne