Do filenames get fixed manually or automatically when cataloguing?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I'm slightly confused on this point: if someone uploads a file which is all correct (technical specs and PL ok) but the filename is wrong (eg: missing 128kb at the end) and I add the link to the file with its wrong name into the MW and mark it PL OK, will that cause problems when cataloguing? Or do all the files get renamed to their correct names automatically, provided the link in the MW points to the right file?

In short, as the BC, do I have to do anything about a wrong filename?

edit: for clarity, my current practice (see here, first section) is to mark in the notes field that the filename is wrong.

Thanks!
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL DPL 43 27-28
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

InTheDesert wrote: June 1st, 2022, 3:27 pm I'm slightly confused on this point: if someone uploads a file which is all correct (technical specs and PL ok) but the filename is wrong (eg: missing 128kb at the end) and I add the link to the file with its wrong name into the MW and mark it PL OK, will that cause problems when cataloguing? Or do all the files get renamed to their correct names automatically, provided the link in the MW points to the right file?

In short, as the BC, do I have to do anything about a wrong filename?

Thanks!
No, you can not. Because the uploaded file is in the folder of the MC with the uploaded name (in your case without 128kb). If you change the file name in the MW, an error will occur when cataloging. The file names in the MW and in the folder are different, so there is no match.
If a file name is not correct - write a note in the MW or a PM to the MC. As long as the file names in the MW and the folder of the MC are the same there will be no problems.
I personally compare the MW with my folder before cataloging and correct in both places if necessary.

I hope I was able to help.

Best regards from Germany.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

lorda wrote: June 1st, 2022, 3:37 pm No, you can not. Because the uploaded file is in the folder of the MC with the uploaded name (in your case without 128kb). If you change the file name in the MW, an error will occur when cataloging. The file names in the MW and in the folder are different, so there is no match.
If a file name is not correct - write a note in the MW or a PM to the MC. As long as the file names in the MW and the folder of the MC are the same there will be no problems.
I personally compare the MW with my folder before cataloging and correct in both places if necessary.

I hope I was able to help.

Best regards from Germany.
Thanks Bernd :) I think I didn't express my question very clearly. The link I add to the MW points to the file in the MC folder, except the filename is different from all the other files in the project. So the MW has a good link to a badly named file. Does that make sense? My question then is whether I as the BC need to do anything (like inform the MC) or can it just be left?

Edit: For example using the project linked in the first post, the MW has a link to https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/homilies_00_aelfric_128kb_mp3.mp3 (which is the name of the file in the MC folder so the link works) but the filename has an extra _mp3 at the end of it which shouldn't be there (my fault).
Emotions
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You may get different answers from different MCs about what they prefer but in case like that, the reader is obviously doing something the wrong way and possibly thinks adding .mp3 to something makes it an .mp3 file and will continue to do so so it is worth helping them to get it right.
As long as the MW name matches the folder name nothing bad will happen to the catalogue - it will just be annoying :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As long as the MW name matches the folder name nothing bad will happen to the catalogue - it will just be annoying :D
Yep. As long as the link in the MW leads to the audio, the MC can handle it. (If the link does NOT point to the audio, it's a world of pain for us - it happens!)

It's two clicks (and maybe a couple keystrokes) to fix all the files in the project when cataloging. I personally do this on every project automatically, to be 100% sure there are no differences I am simply not seeing.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Sounds like marking it in the MW is all that needs to be done and perhaps reminding the MC at cataloguing time. Thanks all!
Emotions
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

It is indeed easy to fix when cataloging BUT (and maybe the more tech-savvy MCs will correct me here), the correction in the validator when cataloging does NOT fix the file in the folder (which is why Bernd said he checks against his folder and corrects in both places, I think). That is important because if the back-up is done not from the validator but from the folder, the file will still have the wrong name and might sort in the wrong order in the back up, or depending on the mistake create other kinds of oddness. Which is why I ask readers to reupload with the correct filename when a file has the wrong name. It is an easy fix for the reader, and prevents me from perhaps deleting a correct file since it will have a wrong name and sort in the wrong place in the folder (because MCs periodically have to manually delete all wrong files that end up in their folders).

If I am mistaken in my understanding, I am sure someone will clarify.
Leni
=================
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

InTheDesert wrote: June 1st, 2022, 7:40 pm Sounds like marking it in the MW is all that needs to be done and perhaps reminding the MC at cataloguing time.
AND alerting the reader of the mistake. Best to get it right in the long run. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Availle wrote: June 1st, 2022, 8:28 pm AND alerting the reader of the mistake. Best to get it right in the long run. :wink:
This brings up my main question - if I alert the reader, it's natural for them to reupload the file with a corrected filename. Is it better for them to do this and avoid all the problems people have described above at cataloguing time but at the cost of a double file on the server taking up space?
Emotions
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

As often with LV, there is no clear answer. The best case is for people to realise that the file name is really really important :D
If readers feel that it doesn't matter then there will sometime be a disaster as really the file name is the only identification the files have during the catalogue process at LV and Archive and out into the ether.

The folders size has not been a problem since the upgrade.
And yes I have not given a hard and fast rule - it depends.

Anne
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

annise wrote: June 1st, 2022, 8:51 pm The folders size has not been a problem since the upgrade.
It sounds like this means asking people to reupload would be the best way forward because it would a) remind them to be careful with the filename b) avoid cataloguing issues later c) make it easier for the MC and d) wouldn't be problematic for server space.

It's not the only way to do it, but it sounds like an easy way for a BC like myself to deal with it quickly and neatly.
Emotions
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Just to point out that a lot can go wrong in an upload, and a re-uploaded file still needs to be checked.

Also, BC instructions in the wiki
File names: ask your MC to fix the filename (the file does not need to be re-uploaded for that!). Contact the reader and explain about how to do it correctly next time.