Reaper Issues. Don't fear the Reaper .... but I do!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Floydius

Post by Floydius »

Hi there. I have two Reaper issues, one a major problem when editing, the other a very annoying problem when editing. I hope you can help :D

Splitting tracks/Time selection
1. Recently, it began about a month ago, so I must have hit something that's causing the problem. When I split an item or use the time selection, I am now editing not just the track I am working on, but also the tracks above and below, depending on which track I am working on. Yes, I have muted the other tracks below or above. How can I fix this?

2. Markers.
Is there any way to make the markers move along with the editing? If I have, say, 5 markers and I am editing along the way, the track shortens but the markers stay where they are not moving with the edit. So in the end none of them make sense, does that make sense?

Thank you for your time and advice.

Floyd
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

When you split a track, make sure that the one you want to split is the one selected/highlighted. Muting has no effect. If no track is selected, then all the tracks will split. Click on the audio clip first, then split.

Sadly, the markers not moving with your edits may just be a feature of Reaper. I experience the same thing. Markers seem to be linked to the track location, not the audio. Maybe we can suggest this to Reaper? Although other users might not want it that way.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Floydius

Post by Floydius »

Thanks for your answers :thumbs:

In regards to the book marks 'Maybe we can suggest this to Reaper? Although other users might not want it that way.'
That might be true, so perhaps they could make this an option?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Floydius wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 5:16 am Thanks for your answers :thumbs:

In regards to the book marks 'Maybe we can suggest this to Reaper? Although other users might not want it that way.'
That might be true, so perhaps they could make this an option?
Perhaps. I've used markers in video editors where you could either mark a spot on the track which doesn't move, or on the video clip itself which will move with the clip.

When I do pickups I mark each with a marker to make them easy to find, then record the pickup. Of course, if the new audio is not the same length as the original (as is often the case), as I edit pickups, the following markers are in the wrong place. One workaround is to start your edits at the end of the file and work toward the beginning. I don't actually do it this way, but is an option.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Floydius

Post by Floydius »

That's a smart work-around!
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

If anyone would know how to do this in Reaper it would be Mike DelGaudio [Booth Junkie].

I think that there is a way of doing it. I will look at Mike's tutorials and see if I can dig it up.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

There are also Reaper user groups on Facebook>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/222914377916832

My website
My Librivox reader page
Floydius

Post by Floydius »

Hmmm still the same problem. All tracks are being split, even if I highlight the item I am working on. I wonder if there is something in the settings I need to mark, or unmark?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Don't think it's a setting. I just tried it. You need to click on the clip in the track (as opposed to selecting the track itself) and then S to split. I could select and split each clip in separate tracks independent of each other. If I select nothing, then all the tracks split. I looked through all my Track and Option settings and don't see anything that I might have toggled so mine behave differently.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Floydius

Post by Floydius »

I have embarrassed myself - again! I've been using the word 'split', when in fact I should have been using the words, time-selection. It's when I am using the time selection that all tracks below and above are also being chopped.
Floydius

Post by Floydius »

"by lightcrystal » May 24th, 2022, 4:30 am

If anyone would know how to do this in Reaper it would be Mike DelGaudio [Booth Junkie].

I think that there is a way of doing it. I will look at Mike's tutorials and see if I can dig it up."

Thank you for your thoughts. A couple of days ago I joined his new group, I think I will ask Guru-Mike this question.

I'll let you know what he has to say/

Cheers
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Floydius wrote: June 6th, 2022, 7:47 am "by lightcrystal » May 24th, 2022, 4:30 am

I think that there is a way of doing it. I will look at Mike's tutorials and see if I can dig it up."

Thank you for your thoughts. A couple of days ago I joined his new group, I think I will ask Guru-Mike this question.

I'll let you know what he has to say/

Cheers
If he still is allowing access to it, Mike has a totally free [no promos, no anything] course of videos for setting up Reaper. I have done it. It was the best course that I have come across. If you asked him to give you the course link I am sure that he would be happy to!
I use Linux. I also like penguins.