Microphone volume fluctuations [SOLVED]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MaddieHeth

Post by MaddieHeth »

Hey does anyone have any tips for dealing with a microphone that sometimes records very loudly and with an offset and other times records softly with no offset? It's driving me insane, I keep having to start projects over because the sounds aren't compatible with each other :/
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

MaddieHeth wrote: December 7th, 2021, 4:42 pm Hey does anyone have any tips for dealing with a microphone that sometimes records very loudly and with an offset and other times records softly with no offset? It's driving me insane, I keep having to start projects over because the sounds aren't compatible with each other :/
Is it a USB or plug-in microphone ?
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MaddieHeth

Post by MaddieHeth »

JHedrick wrote: December 7th, 2021, 5:02 pm
The cord plugs into the USB port and then also into the back of the microphone, it's from a brand called Surf and is called Onn as far as I know, it's very odd because it will be fine one minute, and will be consistent and then the next I'll get up really fast to adjust something and then sit back down and the sound of what is recording is different, hope that's all the information you need, as I don't know that I have anymore
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

MaddieHeth wrote: December 7th, 2021, 5:10 pm
The cord plugs into the USB port and then also into the back of the microphone, it's from a brand called Surf and is called Onn as far as I know, it's very odd because it will be fine one minute, and will be consistent and then the next I'll get up really fast to adjust something and then sit back down and the sound of what is recording is different, hope that's all the information you need, as I don't know that I have anymore
Okay, if it wasn’t USB I was going to guess a possible dirty connection. But, as it is USB, all I can recommend is using a different USB port. It may have a loose connection internally. I might be time for a different microphone.

Sorry I can not be more help.
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MaddieHeth

Post by MaddieHeth »

JHedrick wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:05 pm
Okay, if it wasn’t USB I was going to guess a possible dirty connection. But, as it is USB, all I can recommend is using a different USB port. It may have a loose connection internally. I might be time for a different microphone.

No worries, that's at least an option, worse comes to worse I take it back and try getting a new one instead, it's just very frustrating since I've recorded a section like 4 times now and keep having to start over because different parts sound completely different, fingers crossed that I get it to work!
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

MaddieHeth wrote: December 7th, 2021, 4:42 pm Hey does anyone have any tips for dealing with a microphone that sometimes records very loudly and with an offset and other times records softly with no offset? It's driving me insane, I keep having to start projects over because the sounds aren't compatible with each other :/
If you're still wondering about getting the best results from your mic, and whether you want to replace it, you might want to attend the upcoming Zoom call, or catch the recording
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=83012&p=1980221&hilit=Microphone#p1980221
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
MaddieHeth

Post by MaddieHeth »

MaddieHeth wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:18 pm
JHedrick wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:05 pm

No worries, that's at least an option, worse comes to worse I take it back and try getting a new one instead, it's just very frustrating since I've recorded a section like 4 times now and keep having to start over because different parts sound completely different, fingers crossed that I get it to work!
So, for anyone who is curious or for anyone who may have this problem in the future, if you have this problem (and use Windows) you should try going to Hardware and Sound in your Control Panel, then select Sound, it will bring up a window that has a tab that says Recording click that, and then right-click the microphone you are using and click Properties, then select the tab that says Levels, in here it is determined by the computer how much the microphone should be picking up and you can raise or lower it

In my case the computer was randomly deciding to move this bar and would be using it at like 40 one minute and then 100 the next, which causes weird sound stuff

If you have a mic that is too quite or too loud you can also potentially use this to help with that too

Either way I believe my issue is solved and will hopefully upload section 51 Milford Haven soon!

If this shouldn't be posted in this thread just let me know and I will remove it!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks for coming back and filling us in on this, I had no idea there were any settings for recording within the hardware settings so this was great information for me and I'm sure will help others as well!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
audiomike

Post by audiomike »

The microphone slider in Audacity and the level slider in Windows are tied together.
To see what I mean, do the following.
Open Audacity
Open Windows Control Panel and select Sound.
Select the Recording tab.
Double click on your microphone to open Properties.
Select the Levels tab
Move the Level slider back and forth. The microphone slider in Audacity will move with it.
If you move the slider in Audacity, you will see the one in Properties move too.

Your problem is either the mic, cable, or USB port on the computer.
Without a lot of fancy test equipment, the only way to find out is by process of elimination.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

And even more confusingly, the microphone slider in Audacity can be adjusted using the mouse scroll wheel which is a surefire way to not realize you've changed something.