The Narrator's Elixir for vocal clarity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DavidSweeneyBear

Post by DavidSweeneyBear »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my own personal "recipe" for keeping mouth noises to a minimum and keeping the airways and vocal chords clear:

--- Narrator's Elixir - 1-2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar, juice of 1 small or 1/2 a large lemon, one teaspoon honey, top up with hot or cold water (up to a pint) and mix thoroughly.

This is what I go in to record with, once I've got through that, I continue with pints of water, drinking regularly throughout recording.

--- Tiger Balm (white type) - This is a chinese concoction, fairly widely available - I put a dab of this on my sinuses, throat and chest before I start recording.

TIP - don't over-do it... sometimes I find my eyes watering and my nose running if i use too much!

The above helps to combat the two great enemies of the narrator - dehydration and mucus...

The lemon and apple cider vinegar are acidic and therefore dissolve mucus - apples, grapes, etc have a similar property. (the honey is really just to balance the taste).

Similarly the tiger balm helps to clear mucus from the sinus and airways.

And the water content helps keep me hydrated.

That's what works for me... would love to hear of any other concoctions people use.
loon

Post by loon »

I like to use the occasional 'Fisherman's Friend' anti-cough lozenges. They're pretty strong, so they take a bit of getting used to. I also try to keep a mug of warm-to-hot water at hand - just make a nice cuppa tea and forget to put the tea in.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I blow my nose and make sure the mic's plugged in.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Great suggestions David. Ins tead of tiger Balm I use a bit of Vick's Vapro Rub. Not only does it open my nasal passages, but I get the bonus of remembering my mom rubbing my chest with it when I had a cold. Like Mark, I also blow my nose. Oh, and I drink water.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
DavidSweeneyBear

Post by DavidSweeneyBear »

Yes Vicks will do the same as the tiger balm... I think the common ingredient is camfour, which is why it's considered a decongestant for colds and lung infections, etc.

Never tried mints of any kind, guess I'm mostly concerned with keeping my palate clean. As for Fisherman's Friend... I always felt if that's a fisherman's friend, I'd hate to meet a fisherman's foe! But if it works for you, great :)