How do I eliminate hissing [SOLVED]? And, Volume Issues

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

Hi there,

Can someone advise me on how to eliminate (or at least minimize) my "s" sounds? Here's a 1-minute sample recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/draft_beaumarchais.mp3

I am using a Samson CO1UPRO mic and the Blucoil audio pop filter that came with in the Amazon kit.

Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What audio recording program are you using?

Mic placement may help. Move it closer to your throat and away from your upper mouth. Maybe. I don't know. :lol:

When I hear really strong S sounds, I use a low-pass filter in Audacity. Experiment with the settings, but I start at about 4000 Hz threshold and 12 dB rolloff. (A low-pass filter lets the low sounds pass through, while filtering the higher ones. The threshold is the frequency at which it starts to filter, and the rolloff is how aggressive it is - filtering 12 dB more with every octave higher.)

Start at 4000 / 12, play with those settings to see what works best.

By the way: your recording is too quiet by about 12 dB. ;) Increase your mic input level.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Zunzil

Post by Zunzil »

Thanks so much Tricia. Mic placement doesn't seem to help, but yes, I'm using Audacity so the sample recording benefitted greatly from your advice to change my settings under low-pass filter. The hisses are gone, I'm no longer a snake!

Increasing my mic input level is a bigger challenge. My slider bars are already dragged to the far right in both my laptop input settings as well as the Audacity settings. The only way I can solve this is to amplify at the end of the recording. Or... would you recommend another solution, like getting a better mic? (I'm using the Samson CO1UPRO, which has no input gain knob. Hmm)

Again, thank you for the low-pass filter tip!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. Are you sure you've got the mic selected? Go to Shift-I and make sure the mic is selected.

Another option is to try to plug it into a different USB port, if you have another one. I've got a port that results in a quieter recording, so I don't use that one.

I'm going to move this to "Need Help? and change the thread title. Maybe someone else has ideas.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart