Request for assistance with "Search"

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BlueGrits

Post by BlueGrits »

I'd like to browse the library for science fiction *novels*, but all my searches wind up including lengthy lists of short stories and anthologies. What search method/parameters should I use to display only science fiction novels?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Under the simple search box, click on Advanced Search, then choose Category: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction.

Is that what you were after?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There isn't a way to search our catalog for only novels (or standalone projects, rather than short stories).

You could try searching only for solos; that would get you complete projects read by one reader, but they still could be short stories.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

In addition to what Tricia said, one reason you're finding so many short stories is simply because, when it comes to science fiction specifically, we just have more short stories than novels. The reason for that is the weirdness of USA copyright law. There were a lot of scifi short stories published in subscription magazines for which the copyright was never renewed. On the other hand, if the book was actually published as a standalone novel, the copyright was more likely to have been renewed, so fewer of those works are in the public domain already.

EDIT: I know that doesn't help solve your problem. But I thought you might find it interesting nonetheless, perhaps.
BlueGrits

Post by BlueGrits »

Thanks to all for the explanations and, yes, it makes sense there would be fewer novels (save for the really older things like Verne, H.G. Wells, etc.).