Book already read on Librivox

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

Hi to all,

I would love to read a book of short stories, that are close to my heart, solo, but I have just seen that this has already been read as a solo project in 2018. Can I submit my version or can a book only be done once?
"Own the day"
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Elroi wrote: August 14th, 2021, 12:17 am Hi to all,

I would love to read a book of short stories, that are close to my heart, solo, but I have just seen that this has already been read as a solo project in 2018. Can I submit my version or can a book only be done once?
Elroi, you can most certainly create your own solo version. The Librivox community is very open and permissive about this. Listeners are often delighted to have a choice of versions when they wish to listen to a book. Some will like one reader, some will like another, and many will like all readers. When you begin the process of setting up your own solo version in this forum, the MC will probably alert you to the fact that there is another solo reading of this work already in the catalog, but this is just to alert you to this fact, in case you weren't already aware of it (because some readers do not like to duplicate existing works read). Go for it!
Peter
PS: I've already done exactly what you're doing once before, and am just now embarking on a second project which is also a solo duplication, and I've not received any disapprobation about this on either occasion.
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

TheBanjo wrote: August 14th, 2021, 12:44 am
Elroi wrote: August 14th, 2021, 12:17 am Hi to all,

Elroi, you can most certainly create your own solo version. The Librivox community is very open and permissive about this. Listeners are often delighted to have a choice of versions when they wish to listen to a book. Some will like one reader, some will like another, and many will like all readers. When you begin the process of setting up your own solo version in this forum, the MC will probably alert you to the fact that there is another solo reading of this work already in the catalog, but this is just to alert you to this fact, in case you weren't already aware of it (because some readers do not like to duplicate existing works read). Go for it!
Peter
PS: I've already done exactly what you're doing once before, and am just now embarking on a second project which is also a solo duplication, and I've not received any disapprobation about this on either occasion.
Thank you for the reply Peter. That is good news!
"Own the day"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Not disagreeing with anything said - but if it is something you a very fond of, it may be better to wait till you have a little more experience. Most readers improve with experience and I'm sure some are slightly disappointed with their early recordings as they become experienced :D

Anne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I’d agree with that myself. I was advised to start with some shorter readings when I wished to start out cold on a solo, and that proved to be excellent advice.
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

Thank you for all your sage advice. I will try to reign in my enthusiasm a bit and take it 1 step at a time 8-)
"Own the day"