Adobe Audition Help Needed

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tarafteh

Post by tarafteh »

Hi
I'm trying to do my test recording and I'm having trouble adjusting volume to the requested 89db (I'm aiming for -16 LUFS which seems to be the equivalent because I don't understand the 89db in Adobe's world :shock: ). I've tried Audition's 'Match Loudness" feature and it says the file is -16LUFS but LibriVox Checker says the recording falls outside the requested range (I pass with warnings!). Also the file sounds too loud to me after matching loudness. :roll:

Ideally I'd like to set up the project in a way that I don't need to run the 'Match Loudness' on every file. I'm not an Audtion pro but I've done several recordings and edits on it before and am somehow stuck on this volume thing. Any advice from Audition users would be highly appreciated.

I'm on a mac Mojave, Adobe Audition 2021, a Shure (SM58) mic and external sound card (Onyx Producer 2-2)

Lots of thanks
Tara
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I don't use Audition, but my software does have LUFS normalize. The correct value for me is -21db. -16 is way too loud.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Does it fall too high outside the range? I don’t use Audition and am not exactly sure what the matching tool is doing, if just normalizing to peaks or averages and does it add compression. You could try a little compression then amplify to bring recording to around -18 LUFS and see how that correlates to checker then adjust accordingly. Once you get it dialed in and keep your recording consistent (speaking volume, mic distance and gain) then these settings shouldn’t have to change much from recording to recording.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I think you can get too hung up on LUFS. I have a LUFS meter but for narration readings I do not use it. I just adjust my recording machine for the right values and if necessary increase or decrease the dB level if needed in post production. Checker requires quite a high reading for Librivox in an approximate 6dB range for reasons of making the recordings clear if listened to in a noisy environment. Most professional recordings are set at -3dB Full Scale (FS) and usually anything -6dB to -3dB is fine (Peak Reading). The reasons for -3dB are for recordings to be safe from distortion as going too close to zero dB increases distortion and hitting zero dB means a lot of distortion in the digital domain.