Android Apps?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mlepage

Post by mlepage »

I have just begun using LibriVox, after years of using Audible. I am using the free (with ads) LibriVox Audio Books app on Android from the Google Play Store.

I was interested in knowing if there is an official app, if this is it, or if it's another one. Basically, what is the relationship of this app to the LibriVox project?

I can see from this question that there is apparently no official app:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87892

However, I still have some follow-up questions.

Are there any other good LibriVox Apps?

Can I make my own LibriVox app? (I have made an audio player app before.) By this I mean, what is the process for accessing the catalogue of audio, metadata, etc.? E.g. are there developer API keys, or do these apps just scrape the web site?

I ask because, this app is missing features, and has issues/problems. It needs some work, or I need a replacement app.

Thanks.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You can do what you like - LV is not involved in distribution and our output is public domain in the USA

The LibriVox API is available at https://librivox.org/api/info.
When we have sufficient funds it will be further developed but at the moment I have no idea when that will happen

There is a discussion thread in our forum with some unofficial solutions here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44129 you are welcome to join the discussion if you wish

Anne
mlepage

Post by mlepage »

Follow-up question, I found this page from April 2011

https://librivox.org/2011/04/28/librivox-api-opds/

which talks about a standardized OPDS (Open Publishing Distribution System) for publishing the catalog. It was work-in-progress at that time. Did anything come of that, is there more recent info?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We've had quite a big overhaul of our entire system some time in between, so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing ever came from this and/or it was scrapped during the redevelopment.

Chris has not been online here for a long time either.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com