Some feedback from experienced narrators

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Ares

Post by Ares »

Hi guys, i've enjoyed and still enjoy doing recordings for librivox, but i wish to have some feedback. Is there a thread or something where i could get comments from any narrator with experience?
When i read i try to do my best american "neutral" southish accent, other accents when doing characters, like british and that, i suck at them, but it's fun doing/trying them.

I place a link here for anyone willing to listen for a couple of minutes my last recording, and willing to give me any comments, maybe like:

+ read too fast/slow
+ i should have a better pace
+ i should make more connection between words
+ problems with the "t" "d" sounds or whatever other sounds

here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/phantomregiment_10_grant_128kb.mp3
and the text: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/65393/65393-h/65393-h.htm#chap10

waiting for any comments.
Ares.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Hi Ares! What a great idea! We all have important perspectives to share, and this is a generous group of people. I appreciate how cautious our proof listeners are when they follow LV principles to only point out the most glaring errors. Sometimes we want more than that.

Thanks for the links and the list of what kinds of comments in particular you'd like. I will come back when I have a few minutes to listen carefully and share my thoughts.

I'm concerned about overloading the LV servers, considering the warnings about not listening to links posted in the Magic Window and the request to wait until the recordings are moved to Internet Archive's servers. I hope an admin stops by to advise us on where to post samples to share here.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
Ares

Post by Ares »

Thanks a lot for your answer Grace.
I would have posted finished works links, but I think my reading has changed considerably since the last finished project.
Waiting for your thoughts.
Ares.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Ares wrote: June 24th, 2021, 2:29 am Thanks a lot for your answer Grace.
I would have posted finished works links, but I think my reading has changed considerably since the last finished project.
Waiting for your thoughts.
Ares.
Thanks for your patience.

You asked for constructive feedback regarding:
+ read too fast/slow

I appreciate your pace. It is not too fast or too slow. It's just right. I hear your effort at speaking clearly and precisely. Thank you. I enjoyed the fun that you had with character voices. Good for you!

Regarding "problems with sounds", I had trouble comprehending a few words:
Phantom :02
streets :38
other :43
can perceive 2:17
run 2:37
death 4:02

I wonder how helpful I might be with pointing out these words but offering no advice. I wonder if you have someone who you'd like to practice these words with. Are you connected with an English teacher who might recognize similarities among these words, and who might give you simple, quick fixes that you can practice?

I appreciate the effort that you are making to contribute to the LibriVox library, and to grow in your narration skill.

Best wishes,
Grace
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

"Hi guys, i've enjoyed and still enjoy doing recordings for librivox, but i wish to have some feedback. Is there a thread or something where i could get comments from any narrator with experience?
When i read i try to do my best american "neutral" southish accent, other accents when doing characters, like british and that, i suck at them, but it's fun doing/trying them.

I place a link here for anyone willing to listen for a couple of minutes my last recording, and willing to give me any comments, maybe like:

+ read too fast/slow
+ problems with the "t" "d" sounds or whatever other sounds"

You could go to this link https://youtu.be/T8qb_Q1jz9Q which is a video made by a LV member and it covers many useful things about recording and delivering narration.
Ares

Post by Ares »

GraceBuchanan wrote: July 6th, 2021, 2:45 pm Thanks for your patience.

You asked for constructive feedback regarding:
+ read too fast/slow

I appreciate your pace. It is not too fast or too slow. It's just right. I hear your effort at speaking clearly and precisely. Thank you. I enjoyed the fun that you had with character voices. Good for you!

Regarding "problems with sounds", I had trouble comprehending a few words:
Phantom :02
streets :38
other :43
can perceive 2:17
run 2:37
death 4:02

I wonder how helpful I might be with pointing out these words but offering no advice. I wonder if you have someone who you'd like to practice these words with. Are you connected with an English teacher who might recognize similarities among these words, and who might give you simple, quick fixes that you can practice?

I appreciate the effort that you are making to contribute to the LibriVox library, and to grow in your narration skill.

Best wishes,
Grace
Thanks so much for your feedback, you've given me some important leads to improve.
Right now i'm practicing the words you pointed out. I'm not connected to any american english teacher. I'll search for one, up to do a couple of skype/zoom calls.

Best wishes, thanks for the answer.
Ares
Ares

Post by Ares »

lurcherlover wrote: July 11th, 2021, 10:45 am "Hi guys, i've enjoyed and still enjoy doing recordings for librivox, but i wish to have some feedback. Is there a thread or something where i could get comments from any narrator with experience?

+ read too fast/slow
+ problems with the "t" "d" sounds or whatever other sounds"

You could go to this link https://youtu.be/T8qb_Q1jz9Q which is a video made by a LV member and it covers many useful things about recording and delivering narration.
Thanks for your answer. I already watched that video, but there so much important stuff on that video that I'm gonna watch it again. Thanks for pointing it out.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Hope it helped. The only advice I can give (and I may not be qualified anyway) is to make your recordings and readings as clear as possible so that a listener has no problem in understanding.