Help!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Lmperez62

Post by Lmperez62 »

Hi! I am new and finally passed the 1 minute test. I am now looking to read children's or short stories to start. However, I am a bit confused as to where I get the reading material from & how to claim it once I find it. I would also like to print out what I am going to read, so that I am familiar with the text and theme of the section I pick. Please understand I am not good at navigating through Librivox so any help is greatly appreciated. Thx!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well done with your test - that is the major hurdle cleared :clap:

Any of the forums that say "readers Wanted" are full of projects needing readers and people waiting for you to come along and claim
This one isn't a bad place to start. viewforum.php?f=19
Find something that interests you and look in the first post to see what you need to do, then post in that thread to either claim or ask questions if something isn't clear
The first post will always tell you about the text. Many people find the weekly poetry a good place to start but if that does not appeal that is OK.

Anne
Lmperez62

Post by Lmperez62 »

Anne,

Thanks so much and

I appreciate any help. Poems are what I had actually thought of, so I will probably do that first, and see where that goes.

Liza
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Liza:

There are several volumes of poetry currently underway, each of those will have a link to the source text somewhere in the first post.

Or you can choose poems yourself to record and contribute to the monthly Short Poetry collection, which you will find in Readers Wanted: Short Works (that's where any poetry books in progress generally are as well).

As for finding material to record, Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org) is a great place to look. There are several new books posted nearly every day there, and there is lots of poetry. There are poetry anthologies, collections of poets by individual poets, and school books that collect poetry and short stories for students. Lots of famous and not-so-famous pieces. Sometimes I just go to the search function there and enter "poems" or "poetry" and that picks up an assortment of titles with either of those words. Or I search by an author I like, like Robert Frost or Emily Dickinson etc.

There are also "bookshelves" where PG volunteers have grouped works by subject/type, although those aren't always updated with the latest additions to the collection -- still there is a lot there to look through.

Here's a link to the poetry bookshelf to get you started, but this is just a fraction of the poetry books on Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/bookshelf/60

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai