Orphaned external device settings returns "Error opening sound device..." message [Advice Given]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

Orphaned external device settings returns "Error opening sound device..." message

Hi Again,

I got this message because I have a bad habit of unplugging my headphones in the middle of a session. Audacity doesn’t like it when headphones are unplugged during a session because it orphans the output device setting of ‘External Headphones’. Try to play a track with the output devices setting set to ‘External Headphones’ but the headphones are unplugged and the above message displays.

The simple solution:

1. Plug headphones back
2. Go to Transport | Rescan Audio Device
3. Error is cleared and headphones are restored

I wasn't aware that the external devices settings don't automatically reset to defaults when you close a session. I used headphones in a session then closed Audacity. When I opened the next session, this time without headphones, I wasn't aware the output device was still set to 'External Headphones' from the session before so I got the error message when I pressed 'play'.

The simple solution:

It is good practice to review the Audacity device settings before each session. Even better is the good practice of having all devices plugged in before launching or opening Audacity.

I hope this helps :D
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink: