Audacity erased my settings? [SOLVED]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

I've been here a short while and at first, I was selecting sections and using the "noise reduction" option in Audacity. After a few recordings, I realized I could select all of the text and it's a much cleaner sound with much less if no background noise. I had to restart my computer the other day - and about to have to do it again - and Audacity shut down. I went through my recordings with the same select all and noise reduction option and it doesn't get rid of all the background noise and it lowers the volume on my recording :(

The more I try to reduce the background noise, the more I end up sounding like I'm talking in a fish bowl :(

I really like being able to submit clean recordings but I don't know how to get my Audacity settings back to what they were :(

For examples, listen to Billy Mink sections 4 and 24.

Thanks!!

- Heather
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Are you using a section of the recording from the background at the beginning or end of each recording to get the Noise Profile first and then selecting the whole recording and applying the noise removal?

More detailed instructions at these links -

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

Noise Reduction - Audacity Manual
Jo
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 1st, 2021, 2:14 pm Are you using a section of the recording from the background at the beginning or end of each recording to get the Noise Profile first and then selecting the whole recording and applying the noise removal?

More detailed instructions at these links -

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

Noise Reduction - Audacity Manual
Ok - I get it now :) I wasn't doing a noise profile first. I'll give it a try tomorrow, my computer is updating right now.

Whew! So glad I don't have to rerecord!! :)

Thanks so much!!