Playing the entire book with one button

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
sarahwtorres

Post by sarahwtorres »

Hi - I'm mostly new to LibriVox, and I'm wanting to know whether there's any way to play the entire book with one button push (on my phone). I don't like having to stop my work every time a minutes-long section ends to back track and push play on the next one. This is esecially bad when I'm getting paid for my time as it slows me down a lot. I don't want to download everything, if that's one way, and take up all that space on my phone plus all that time downloading. Thanks!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

sarahwtorres wrote: May 31st, 2021, 5:41 pm Hi - I'm mostly new to LibriVox, and I'm wanting to know whether there's any way to play the entire book with one button push (on my phone). I don't like having to stop my work every time a minutes-long section ends to back track and push play on the next one. This is esecially bad when I'm getting paid for my time as it slows me down a lot. I don't want to download everything, if that's one way, and take up all that space on my phone plus all that time downloading. Thanks!
Hi!

If you haven’t already, try the LibriVox app. I use the apple version on my iphone6 and while you can download books, you can also stream them; it does automatically go to the next chapter although there is usually a few seconds pause before it starts. The only drawbacks I find is that not every LV work seems to find its way over (or maybe they are just behind right now) and occasionally big chunks of other things show up, like collections of preaching from various churches or collections of old time radio shows. (The app is not created or run directly by LibriVox despite the name, so it pulls content from other sites as well.) But most of the LV works are there and it’s pretty easy to search by title, author, and genres.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Another way is to stream them from the Internet Archive page - there is a gap between files but it does work. There is a link to the Archive page on every LV catalogue page.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I also stream them from the Internet Archive page. That has been the easiest and most convenient for me, without having to download anything, and the files play one after the other, which is nice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you have an Apple device, the M4B format is one file (or more for longer books), and I believe it saves your place when you stop. You can find the M4B links in the left column of our catalog page or on the Archive page. They are created separately, after the cover art is made, so it may not be available immediately for new releases.

My audiobook app plays separate files continuously. I'd be surprised if most of them don't. :hmm: What app are you using?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I didn't mention M4Bs because I thought they had to be downloaded? And the IP didn't want to store them - but maybe they don't :hmm:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oops - I missed that part. :oops:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
sarahwtorres

Post by sarahwtorres »

Colleen, Yay, thank you! I'm so glad there is a solution. I will look for the app for Android. Thanks!
sarahwtorres

Post by sarahwtorres »

annise wrote: May 31st, 2021, 6:06 pm Another way is to stream them from the Internet Archive page - there is a gap between files but it does work. There is a link to the Archive page on every LV catalogue page.

Anne
Anne, that is great to know, too! Thanks very much.
sarahwtorres

Post by sarahwtorres »

mightyfelix wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:30 pm I also stream them from the Internet Archive page. That has been the easiest and most convenient for me, without having to download anything, and the files play one after the other, which is nice.
Sounds great, thank you. ☺
sarahwtorres

Post by sarahwtorres »

TriciaG wrote: June 1st, 2021, 4:42 am If you have an Apple device, the M4B format is one file (or more for longer books), and I believe it saves your place when you stop. You can find the M4B links in the left column of our catalog page or on the Archive page. They are created separately, after the cover art is made, so it may not be available immediately for new releases.

My audiobook app plays separate files continuously. I'd be surprised if most of them don't. :hmm: What app are you using?
I was just using the mobile web page, not an actual separate app, but now I will look for it. I have an Android though, not Apple. Thanks!
sarahwtorres

Post by sarahwtorres »

TriciaG wrote: June 1st, 2021, 5:39 am Oops - I missed that part. :oops:
👍
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

sarahwtorres wrote: June 1st, 2021, 11:28 am
TriciaG wrote: June 1st, 2021, 4:42 am If you have an Apple device, the M4B format is one file (or more for longer books), and I believe it saves your place when you stop. You can find the M4B links in the left column of our catalog page or on the Archive page. They are created separately, after the cover art is made, so it may not be available immediately for new releases.

I was just using the mobile web page, not an actual separate app, but now I will look for it. I have an Android though, not Apple. Thanks!
I checked and the app I use on my iPhone also appears to have an Android version. Should just be under LibriVox in the App Store. I like it because I often listen while falling asleep and it has a sleep timer, among other nifty helpful things,

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai