How do you keep up 150 WPM without slowing down?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

DACSoft wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:12 pm
philchenevert wrote: May 28th, 2021, 10:16 am FWIW, when I first started recording, my speed was about 170-175 WPM, and now is about 160-165 WPM, mostly as a natural reaction to becoming more comfortable with recording; not something I intentionally did. But I really don't focus on this (other than that I'm a nut for statistics :D ). When I record, I really "get into" the project, and I imagine I'm reading to my nieces and nephews when they were school-age and young adults ... or maybe better stated, at an age-appropriate level for the content.
Interesting! I have never read a book to anyone although I've given lots of boring presentations. Probably why I talk so slow. :lol:
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

lurcherlover wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:49 pm I'm with Phil and Don with this one. Speed of reading depends on the content, and I myself speed up and slow down depending on the context. I consciously try not to speak too fast as I then find it hard to make sense of the text. If I think (or it says) a character is hesitating, I will hesitate. This often means drawing out a word or two. It's like music, if you do a rallentando (i.e. slow down) then often make the time up in the nest few bars by a gradual increase in tempo. Text is like music, and needs to be interpreted. Setting a constant 150 wpm can become boring. You need as much colour in narration as you can manage, different sounds on certain words as well as variation of tempo. Music that stays at one tempo can become boring, and music that fluctuates can be much more interesting. The same applies to the narration of prose and poetry.
I see where you're going with this. Thx!
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

sjmarky wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:39 am
1) For those who are slow narrators such as myself, do you just not worry about it and do what you do best?
Do this. Reading at an unnatural pace will sound unnatural. Don't obsess over things like this - it will ruin narrating for you.
Fair enough! I will see what evolves. TY
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

KevinS wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:43 am
1) For those who are slow narrators such as myself, do you just not worry about it and do what you do best?
Do this. Reading at an unnatural pace will sound unnatural. Don't obsess over things like this - it will ruin narrating for you.
Indeed.

And while I've never seen a need for it, the listener can always play a recording at his or her preferred speed.
Someone else was mentioning this too .... Hopefully I won't sound too much like Mickey Mouse when sped up! :wink:
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

ColleenMc wrote: May 29th, 2021, 11:47 am I have more of a problem with speeding up as I go and having to remind myself to slow down! (It's my inner Jersey Girl I guess). I have never timed out my pace, but I find that it sounds pretty natural but slow enough to be understandable if I read just a hair slower when recording than I would "naturally" if reading aloud to myself.

Colleen
Interesting .... when I read to myself it's usually faster. OK. This gives me something else to think about. TY
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ItsThatRick wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:18 am

Indeed.

And while I've never seen a need for it, the listener can always play a recording at his or her preferred speed.
Someone else was mentioning this too .... Hopefully I won't sound too much like Mickey Mouse when sped up! :wink:
Hahah! Everyone does!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

KevinS wrote: May 30th, 2021, 11:34 am
ItsThatRick wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:18 am Someone else was mentioning this too .... Hopefully I won't sound too much like Mickey Mouse when sped up! :wink:
Hahah! Everyone does!
The trick to not sounding like Mickey Mouse at double speed is to put so much feeling into your reading that the soundwave gets clipped... in that case, you'll sound like Donald Duck.

Seriously, with modern devices, the pitch won't change, only the tempo.

Michael
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

ItsThatRick wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:18 am

Indeed.

Hahah! Everyone does!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ItsThatRick

Post by ItsThatRick »

Kazbek wrote: May 30th, 2021, 12:04 pm
ItsThatRick wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:18 am Someone else was mentioning this too .... Hopefully I won't sound too much like Mickey Mouse when sped up! :wink:
Hahah! Everyone does!
The trick to not sounding like Mickey Mouse at double speed is to put so much feeling into your reading that the soundwave gets clipped... in that case, you'll sound like Donald Duck.

Seriously, with modern devices, the pitch won't change, only the tempo.

Michael
Hmmm... Donald is acceptable to me. :lol: :lol: