DB levels / Copy/pasting in Audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

SunnyG wrote: July 1st, 2021, 1:01 pm Hello. I am attempting to get my first test recording completed so I can begin volunteering here. I listed to many books from here several years ago while I had an office job. Last year I had an opportunity to get a microphone, but couldn't get it to work on my laptop. I have had a friend help me so I have a new set up now, and the microphone finally works. I am looking forward to being able to volunteer as a reader! I just hope this all gets easier after the test recording is completed to the site standards.

:help:

Now, I am trying to figure out Audacity. It seems I am making tiny steps forward. Every time I get something accomplished, I can't figure out the next step. Everything seems to be a challenge, but with my friend's help, we are muddling through it all. I have no prior background in working with audio files.

I sent my test recording through the checker and it lists 3 things I have to change. I have tried googling bitrate, but I am not finding the setting I am referred to there, and my project rate is set at the (I think) required 44100Hz. I don't see anywhere else to change bitrate, but Checker says I need 128kbps. Google tells me that should be found in the lower left of Audacity, which is where the project rate setting is. So, I am lost. I have a feeling, if I can correct the kbps setting, the next error of constant vs variable bit rate will be located with that setting.

Which leaves me with my decibel range. I started out with my first few attempts at recording having a hard time hearing myself. I was able to make a few adjustments, and the current test recording was much better than I had started out. But, it appears it isn't good enough to make the Checker happy. My first issue is, when I try to make changes with the Amplify effect, it won't allow me to hit Ok. So, it appears, that is not a setting I can actually use, for some reason. I have Audacity 2.3.3.

I have attempted to follow the instructions I found here by InTheDesert, since brownrottger had one of the same issues I am having. I have made it through the Normalize and Compressor settings. I do not have anything under Effects called "Loudness Normalization". I haven't yet run my test sample through the checker, having made only the adjustments in the 2 settings thus far. I don't know if it will do me much good yet.

And then my next question is... how do we change these settings so they will be permanent for future recordings? I am sure I will have additional questions as I am finding my footing with this software.

Thank you for your assistance!
Hi SunnyG.

It would be easiest, if you just upload the test so we can see the waveform. If the program is not letting you amplify, it's probably because there are peaks in your recording which if amplified would result in clipping (or cutting off of the top or bottom of the peak). The Compressor should have taken care of that, but maybe not completely.

You set the bitrate when you export to mp3 - at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.  Set them as follows:

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown
Check the box to Force to Mono

Before using Normalization and Compression, make sure your microphone settings are not set too low. You can adjust this in Audacity with the microphone slider and/or in the Control Panel Sound settings for the microphone. (or the equivalent if you are on a Mac as opposed to a PC).
Jo
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

Hi SunnyG.

It would be easiest, if you just upload the test so we can see the waveform. If the program is not letting you amplify, it's probably because there are peaks in your recording which if amplified would result in clipping (or cutting off of the top or bottom of the peak). The Compressor should have taken care of that, but maybe not completely.

You set the bitrate when you export to mp3 - at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.  Set them as follows:

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown
Check the box to Force to Mono

Before using Normalization and Compression, make sure your microphone settings are not set too low. You can adjust this in Audacity with the microphone slider and/or in the Control Panel Sound settings for the microphone. (or the equivalent if you are on a Mac as opposed to a PC).
Thank you. I guess I had set the bit rate down when I had exported it to begin with. I just didn't realize I had to make other changes to the setting above that. And then forgot there were changes when exporting. Obviously, I will get more familiar with the program as I use it more.

I had already set the recording to Mono, so it looks like it is automatically "Force to Mono".

The peaks were not that significant before I made the changes from this post, so I don't think Amplify would have cut anything off. How would I post the file here?

I think I need to record again, now that I have gotten closer, and see what happens.
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Woot! Success! I think I have it. 8-) Thank you for your help, guys!

My sentence inflection changes with every reading, so now I just need to come up with something I'm happy with and submit. :lol:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

SunnyG wrote: July 1st, 2021, 1:01 pm Hello. I am attempting to get my first test recording completed so I can begin volunteering here. I listed to many books from here several years ago while I had an office job. Last year I had an opportunity to get a microphone, but couldn't get it to work on my laptop. I have had a friend help me so I have a new set up now, and the microphone finally works. I am looking forward to being able to volunteer as a reader! I just hope this all gets easier after the test recording is completed to the site standards.

:help:

Now, I am trying to figure out Audacity. It seems I am making tiny steps forward. Every time I get something accomplished, I can't figure out the next step. Everything seems to be a challenge, but with my friend's help, we are muddling through it all. I have no prior background in working with audio files.

I sent my test recording through the checker and it lists 3 things I have to change. I have tried googling bitrate, but I am not finding the setting I am referred to there, and my project rate is set at the (I think) required 44100Hz. I don't see anywhere else to change bitrate, but Checker says I need 128kbps. Google tells me that should be found in the lower left of Audacity, which is where the project rate setting is. So, I am lost. I have a feeling, if I can correct the kbps setting, the next error of constant vs variable bit rate will be located with that setting.

Which leaves me with my decibel range. I started out with my first few attempts at recording having a hard time hearing myself. I was able to make a few adjustments, and the current test recording was much better than I had started out. But, it appears it isn't good enough to make the Checker happy. My first issue is, when I try to make changes with the Amplify effect, it won't allow me to hit Ok. So, it appears, that is not a setting I can actually use, for some reason. I have Audacity 2.3.3.

I have attempted to follow the instructions I found here by InTheDesert, since brownrottger had one of the same issues I am having. I have made it through the Normalize and Compressor settings. I do not have anything under Effects called "Loudness Normalization". I haven't yet run my test sample through the checker, having made only the adjustments in the 2 settings thus far. I don't know if it will do me much good yet.

And then my next question is... how do we change these settings so they will be permanent for future recordings? I am sure I will have additional questions as I am finding my footing with this software.

Thank you for your assistance!
Which version of Audaicty are you using? "Loudness Normalization" only appears in more recently versions. Upgrading to 3.0.2 (https://www.audacityteam.org/download/) is a big improvement.

As Jo said, getting the volume on your microphone as high as possible without clipping is an important first step.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL DPL 43 27-28
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

Ah. Ok, thanks. I thought I had the most recent version, but it's 2.3.3. I will upgrade my Audacity.

I don't have any settings on my microphone.

And, now that I am happy with my recording, I am having issues again with dB. However, it wasn't a fail this time, just a warning. And that is the only error as opposed to 3. So... it is improvement! lol The test that passed, I stumbled over half my words... :roll:

How do I attach a file here (or anywhere in the forum) for folks to listen to?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Instructions for submitting a test recording are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: July 1st, 2021, 1:40 pm
And I had already set the microphone louder as far as I could tell after I first tried recording. I had changed something on Audacity, and it seemed that increasing the laptop volume increased the recording volume? I don't know. Maybe the volume just increases the volume... but it seemed to have helped the other day. So, by the time I was doing test recordings for here, the volume... well, to my ears sounded decent... but, what volume does the Audacity part need to be set at?

I have now been able to get Audacity upgraded (not only am I fighting software I am totally unfamiliar with, but my microphone won't work on Windows, so I have a dual boot on this machine with Linux Mint, for which I have to wait for instructions from my friend, because I know nothing about Linux. So, I'm like trying to make all this work with both my hands tied behind my back... my toes aren't that agile :lol:)

My Perceived Loudness on Loudness Normalization is -23.0. I changed that to -20, per instructions on the earlier post. So, when I run THAT through the checker, I get the bit rate errors again, and it is a fail. As opposed to "pass with warnings" without that change.

Let me see if I can get my files uploaded here.
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

philchenevert wrote: July 1st, 2021, 1:13 pm Hi. Don't give up. The fog will life eventually. I also can't resist giving a link to my video on Setting Tech Specs in Audacity https://youtu.be/l00VDvGTieg It covers the bit rate and other stuff but now loudness or decibel levels. Keep asking questions and plugging away. We want you to succeed and start recording!! :thumbs:
Sorry... I feel like I'm trying to do 10 things at once, blindfolded... Forgot to watch this, and double check all the settings. So, the only change I hadn't made yet was the 16-bit thing.

Yay!! That fixed the last issue. My new export passed. Maybe I'm good to go now. :mrgreen:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

SunnyG wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 9:03 am
philchenevert wrote: July 1st, 2021, 1:13 pm Hi. Don't give up. The fog will life eventually. I also can't resist giving a link to my video on Setting Tech Specs in Audacity https://youtu.be/l00VDvGTieg It covers the bit rate and other stuff but now loudness or decibel levels. Keep asking questions and plugging away. We want you to succeed and start recording!! :thumbs:
Sorry... I feel like I'm trying to do 10 things at once, blindfolded... Forgot to watch this, and double check all the settings. So, the only change I hadn't made yet was the 16-bit thing.

Yay!! That fixed the last issue. My new export passed. Maybe I'm good to go now. :mrgreen:
Your persistence is admirable. And you probably will have everything set correctly from now on. In any case, the fun of recording is almost there for you!! :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

SunnyG wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:53 am

I have now been able to get Audacity upgraded (not only am I fighting software I am totally unfamiliar with, but my microphone won't work on Windows, so I have a dual boot on this machine with Linux Mint, for which I have to wait for instructions from my friend, because I know nothing about Linux. So, I'm like trying to make all this work with both my hands tied behind my back... my toes aren't that agile :lol:)
If you have Linux Mint specific questions feel free to ask me (maybe by PM) - I do my recording, editing and proof listening in Mint + Audacity. Works peachy, with or without toes.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

If you have Linux Mint specific questions feel free to ask me (maybe by PM) - I do my recording, editing and proof listening in Mint + Audacity. Works peachy, with or without toes.
Awesome! Thanks! :D If I have any other questions, I will definitely let you know.

I have provided my test recording on that thread... I think I am just waiting on someone to say it sounds good so I can begin the chapter I have already signed up for. :-)