Checker error messages and how to fix them

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

"The file does not contain any underscores ("_") which are used to separate the file name fields."

Hi All,

NOTE: This topic may be explained elsewhere, and forgive me if it is and I haven't found it yet.

As a new user, it took me awhile before I figured out what this message meant. Since it is a 'Checker' message, I thought it was a 'Checker' problem. And it is but it is a problem that is inherited from Audacity. See Checker's problem is with the name the audio file was assigned when it was being exported to .mp3 from Audacity. Audacity isn't particular about how a file is named so there is no way to know that even though the name is okay with Audacity, it's only a problem once Checker gets into it.

Simple solution. Remember to use the Checker-preferred naming convention when preparing to export your audio from Audacity. When naming your file, separate each word with an underscore "_" (not a dash "-") according to the "File Name" instructions provided by project MC. For example:

Project Name is "The Mastery of a Handsome Cab". In this example the MC instructs the reader to name the Audacity recording as follows:

Filename:
...mysteryofahansomcab_role_#.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. mysteryofahansomcab_romeo_01.mp3)

So, if your project name is "Silly Dumpling Pudding Pie", your project's mc might suggest the name be "silly_dumpling_pudding_pie.mp3).

Whatever the guidance you get for naming your project, if you properly use the underscore "_" between the words the naming convention should pass Checker with flying colors (but that's not to say Checker won't display other messages).

I hope this helps :D.
Last edited by DOLZ on May 22nd, 2021, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So, if your project name is "Silly Dumpling Pudding Pie", your project's mc might suggest the name be "silly_dumpling_pudding_pie.mp3).

Whatever the guidance you get for naming your project, if you properly use the underscore "_" between the words the naming convention should pass Checker with flying colors (but that's not to say Checker won't display other messages).
The file name would be sillydumplingpuddingpie_01_author_128kb.mp3 if it's the first section of a regular book project. ;)

The file name structure is given in the first post of each project thread. Personally, I always name my files from the very beginning with the proper name for that project and chapter.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

TriciaG wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:52 am

The file name would be sillydumplingpuddingpie_01_author_128kb.mp3 if it's the first section of a regular book project. ;)

The file name structure is given in the first post of each project thread. Personally, I always name my files from the very beginning with the proper name for that project and chapter.
Yayyhhh. This is helpful. Thank you :D
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, to be clear, Checker requires that format because we require it. Checker was written to conform to our specific needs. And we need certain formats because that's what Internet Archive, who hosts our files, needs. :)

So it's not just Checker being finicky, it is really very important to follow the naming convention given in the project threads. :wink:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

"The filename should use all lower case letters."

Hi Again.

NOTE: This topic may be explained elsewhere, and forgive me if it is and I haven't found it yet.

Here is another Checker issue that is inherited from Audacity because of how the file was named when it was being exported to .mp3. Checker does not like mixed-cased characters in the names of audio files.

Simple solution: When preparing the file to export to .mp3 in Audacity, only use lower case letters. Using our same example of project name of "Silly Dumpling Pudding Pie” , and with TriciaG’s help, we know to name the file “sillydumplingpuddingpie_01_author_128kb.mp3”.

Whatever the guidance you get for naming your project from your MC, if you name the file using all lower case letters your recording should pass Checker with flying colors (but that's not to say Checker won't display other messages).

I hope this helps :D
Last edited by DOLZ on May 22nd, 2021, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for this! I'm going to combine these two Checker threads, to keep the information together. :thumbs:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

mightyfelix wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:50 am Thanks for this! I'm going to combine these two Checker threads, to keep the information together. :thumbs:
Phew! Thank you. I thought this happened because I did something wrong. I appreciate your help.
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

mightyfelix wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:13 pm Also, to be clear, Checker requires that format because we require it. Checker was written to conform to our specific needs. And we need certain formats because that's what Internet Archive, who hosts our files, needs. :)

So it's not just Checker being finicky, it is really very important to follow the naming convention given in the project threads. :wink:
Thank you for the clarification. It helps to expand on the reasons beyond the 'user' experience :D .
zachh

Post by zachh »

I had a bit part in a play during cleanup month where the role name was given as "clerk/clerks" since both designations were used in the script. Checker didn't like the / so I just called it "clerks" in the title and explained why when I uploaded the file so that the BC wouldn't be wondering why I didn't follow the instructions. I suppose in that case it wouldn't have mattered that it hadn't passed Checker since the file I made was only for internal Librivox use and would not be uploaded to Archive, but I like to keep Checker happy if possible.
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

mightyfelix wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:50 am Thanks for this! I'm going to combine these two Checker threads, to keep the information together. :thumbs:
Thank you. I agree it works better merged together :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

zachh wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 5:56 am I had a bit part in a play during cleanup month where the role name was given as "clerk/clerks" since both designations were used in the script. Checker didn't like the / so I just called it "clerks" in the title and explained why when I uploaded the file so that the BC wouldn't be wondering why I didn't follow the instructions. I suppose in that case it wouldn't have mattered that it hadn't passed Checker since the file I made was only for internal Librivox use and would not be uploaded to Archive, but I like to keep Checker happy if possible.
A slash may have messed up the uploader link, too, since it's a special coding character in html. I suppose you could have also done "clerkclerks" or clerk-clerks" if you had chosen to, but how you managed it was A-OK. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
zachh

Post by zachh »

TriciaG wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 8:04 am
zachh wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 5:56 am I had a bit part in a play during cleanup month where the role name was given as "clerk/clerks" since both designations were used in the script. Checker didn't like the / so I just called it "clerks" in the title and explained why when I uploaded the file so that the BC wouldn't be wondering why I didn't follow the instructions. I suppose in that case it wouldn't have mattered that it hadn't passed Checker since the file I made was only for internal Librivox use and would not be uploaded to Archive, but I like to keep Checker happy if possible.
A slash may have messed up the uploader link, too, since it's a special coding character in html. I suppose you could have also done "clerkclerks" or clerk-clerks" if you had chosen to, but how you managed it was A-OK. :)
I would never have thought of either of those options, they would both have been neater solutions. I know that coding exists, and am grateful for it, but I don't know anything actual about it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The file names for characters in multirole projects often do not match the needs for cataloguing - there is no need, only the assembled parts go to the catalogue, So as long as the parts filenames will upload, and the filename tells the editor what it is, then comments about filenames in checker don't matter.

Anne