Checker saying Access Denied?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
FoxSox

Post by FoxSox »

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered before but I can't find anything about.
I have named my file correctly for the project I am contributing to, but when I go to try the checker with the file it says that an error occurred and access is denied. Any idea how to resolve this? Many thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It may not be an mp3 file?

Could you please upload it to the tests folder, and we can take a look.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Been having this problem myself with my test recordings. I wanna do this right before I upload something. any help is greatly appreciated. tried un installing and re installing. Here is the message itself.
An error occurred while reading the file: C:\Users\The Sproule\Desktop\VO Tests\1 minute test.mp3 (Access is denied). same for both information and validation.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Same response: please upload the file to the Tests folder so we can take a look. :)
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

fair response. Just uploaded it to the test folder.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have the link that the uploader returned? If so, please post it. If not, we have to go hunting for it. :)
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This file works fine for me in Checker. Perhaps it's a permission issue on your end. :hmm:

(Tech settings are generally OK. You have a bit of DC offset, where the whole recording is shifted a bit above or below the baseline. To fix this, go to Effects/Normalize and only check the box to remove DC offset. Other than that, it sounds like you entered blank silence between phrases/sentences, which is a bit jarring. Alternately, you have some sort of noise cancelling feature on your mic that is better turned off, then use some noise reduction on the file instead.)
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Possibly. Thanks so much for the feedback.
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Morning one and all. after a bit of tweaking and feedback, my one minutes test passed in checker. Thought I would upload it here for a possible second opinion.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/asproule1984_1_minute_test.mp3
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Asproule1984 wrote: August 7th, 2021, 10:24 pm Morning one and all. after a bit of tweaking and feedback, my one minutes test passed in checker. Thought I would upload it here for a possible second opinion.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/asproule1984_1_minute_test.mp3
It seems OK to me but I think it has rather a lot of sibilance. (i.e. high frequency exaggeration). Either use a pop shield or just angle the mic slightly to reduce the sibilance which might get a bit tiring on a longer piece. If you speak close straight into the mic you may get sibilance, depending on the make, and quality of the mic. You could EQ (Equalise) this out but it's more work at the editing stage so better to get it right at the time of recording.
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Ok. I have the Mic a good distance away from me. About a foot I think. Will try tilting the Mike downwards and see if That helps. Thanks.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Asproule1984 wrote: August 8th, 2021, 7:24 pm Ok. I have the Mic a good distance away from me. About a foot I think. Will try tilting the Mike downwards and see if That helps. Thanks.
To be clear, it meets our standards perfectly fine as is. You can certainly follow lurcherlover's comments above if you want a more perfect sound quality, but it's not at all required. You're clear to go ahead and start recording with this setup if you wish.
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Ok. Cool. Will still try that method. What's next in the process? Been a while since i checked in. Life, love, and work and all.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Check out any of the Readers Wanted forums to find projects that are looking for volunteers. When you find one you like, post in that thread, claiming the section(s) you want to record.

Have fun!