Need help with recording level

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
gsscooter

Post by gsscooter »

Hello all - I'm just getting started with my VO setup and just need some advice regarding a good input level and waveform. Config info:
  • Audio Technica AT4040 condenser mic
  • Pop-screen
  • Scarlett Solo interface
  • MacBook Pro running Big Sur
  • DAW: Reaper
All the plumbing is working in terms of getting a signal successfully from the mic to the interface to Reaper. When trying to record my 1-minute test, I notice that the waveform is pretty small in height and the Checker utility reports that my mp3 volume is out of range. On the interface, I have the input gain set to around 2'o'clock and I'm speaking pretty close to the mic.

Could someone please provide some tips on what I might need to adjust?

Thanks.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

gsscooter wrote: April 26th, 2021, 5:36 pm Hello all - I'm just getting started with my VO setup and just need some advice regarding a good input level and waveform. Config info:
  • Audio Technica AT4040 condenser mic
  • Pop-screen
  • Scarlett Solo interface
  • MacBook Pro running Big Sur
  • DAW: Reaper
All the plumbing is working in terms of getting a signal successfully from the mic to the interface to Reaper. When trying to record my 1-minute test, I notice that the waveform is pretty small in height and the Checker utility reports that my mp3 volume is out of range. On the interface, I have the input gain set to around 2'o'clock and I'm speaking pretty close to the mic.

Could someone please provide some tips on what I might need to adjust?

Thanks.
You need to check the Scarlett interface - is Phantom power on - it must be or you would get nothing. Check the gain level and increase on interface by a bit more. Sometimes the gain nob only has any effect once you get to over 75%. In Reaper you could increase on the track slider the recording input or the output, or you could on playback up the dB level on the mixer. Try to get the waveform up to -4dB peak reading as well. You can also when doing a render increase the level of the output on the mixer. Also you can on the small waveform up the db level by pressing F2 (after setting the waveform by marking it) and then setting the output gain on the box that comes up. With a condenser mic you should have no problems with a good signal. Checker is very good but the required volume level set for LV is rather on the high side.
gsscooter

Post by gsscooter »

Thank you very much for the tips - will give them a shot.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Just one other thing - are you close miked? The best distance for narration is 5-12 inches from mic, and the nearer the better. This should give a healthy level as well, and you can speak quite quietly.
gsscooter

Post by gsscooter »

Yes, definitely up close so that I can speak at a normal level.
schrm

Post by schrm »

in audacity, did you set the mic to "scarlett solo usb"?
i have to check that before every recording session.
otherwise, i use the inbuilt mic

i don't know about versions and stuff, but: did youtry to set the gain on the scarlett solo to around 3 or 4 o clock?
i need that much of gain, too.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

He\s not using Audacity, the DAW is Reaper.
schrm

Post by schrm »

Ah sorry!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
gsscooter

Post by gsscooter »

Thanks all - it was all about the gain level on the interface.
MichaelCarter

Post by MichaelCarter »

Hi,

So, I want to send in my 1 Minute Test, my issue is the loudness ive been asked to produce.
Instructions ask for 86-92 dB. Ok, but my equipment+audacity want to work in Negative -db.

What volume should i submit in -dB? (I tried to "google it" and hit a wall of math thats crazy over my head)

What do you think?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hard to say. It depends on your voice tone, your peaks and valleys.

Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

It may need some tweaking past that, but it's a good start.

There's a plugin for Audacity that will tell you how much to amplify your recordings, or how far off you are from "ideal" volume. It's called ReplayGain. Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MichaelCarter

Post by MichaelCarter »

Sounds good! Thanks for the guidance.
and i'm downloading that add-on now. :D
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

The gain control on your Scarlett will need to be turned almost all the way up. This is normal. Do that first, and then carefully turn it down until your raw recording wave forms peak at about half the height of your recording window in Reaper (I have both a Scarlett and record in Reaper.) Be sure you have selected the Scarlett in the Reaper prefs and are not accidentally recording from your computer mic. It's easy to do (I make that mistake all the time). The gain control is very touchy.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page