Problems with recordings.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi all
I am having a problem with some of my recordings. They are all fine on my computer but when I upload them and the PL'er listens there are words which have been cut off at the end. I don't know how to overcome this. I have checked and re uploaded but it is still missing ends of words. Any help would be much appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=81536

Its the final acts that have a problem 1 and 2
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I listened to the first 10 minutes of Act 1, and didn't notice any cut-offs.

I listened to the rest of Act 2 after the 15 minutes, mentioned by the proof-listener, and I have a few things to note:
17:12 "...never right between us" cut off
25:09 "I wanted to be a wife to him", very slightly cut off
26:56 "my love", not a cut-off, but this is too quiet, I would amplify to level with the rest of the recording.

Other than those 2, I didn't hear any other cut-offs. Are the above 2 cut-offs in your original file as well?
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

It could be that when you are editing you splice too close to the word. Allow another half second of silence.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've had this problem of words' endings being cut off. It doesn't happen often, but it's very aggravating. My assumption has always been that my noise reduction gets confused and 'silences' some word endings that drop in volume. I usually lift the recording's volume a bit before doing cleaning now and then balance everything at the conclusion of my cleaning with a correction with ReplayGain. On the other hand, it could very well be the truncate effect I use.

To have word endings sliced out as part of a download seems very strange to me. Or is it an upload we do? (I always get confused.) I have no idea about that problem except to ask if you're using earphones when you do your last listen. (Is that what they are called? I'm beginning to feel foolish.) I rely on mine to give me the best sound.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Are you using any kind of noise gate, de-esser or de-breath filter? All of those can cause clipped words.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Rapunzelina wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:16 am I listened to the first 10 minutes of Act 1, and didn't notice any cut-offs.

I listened to the rest of Act 2 after the 15 minutes, mentioned by the proof-listener, and I have a few things to note:
17:12 "...never right between us" cut off
25:09 "I wanted to be a wife to him", very slightly cut off
26:56 "my love", not a cut-off, but this is too quiet, I would amplify to level with the rest of the recording.

Other than those 2, I didn't hear any other cut-offs. Are the above 2 cut-offs in your original file as well?
That's the confusing part they are not in my original file so not sure how to overcome that. I will carry out the edits and see hopefully that they will be ok. Thanks for the advice
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

lurcherlover wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:46 am It could be that when you are editing you splice too close to the word. Allow another half second of silence.
I usually leave one second of silence between each section and usually that is enough but can give it a try. thanks
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

KevinS wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:26 am I've had this problem of words' endings being cut off. It doesn't happen often, but it's very aggravating. My assumption has always been that my noise reduction gets confused and 'silences' some word endings that drop in volume. I usually lift the recording's volume a bit before doing cleaning now and then balance everything at the conclusion of my cleaning with a correction with ReplayGain. On the other hand, it could very well be the truncate effect I use.

To have word endings sliced out as part of a download seems very strange to me. Or is it an upload we do? (I always get confused.) I have no idea about that problem except to ask if you're using earphones when you do your last listen. (Is that what they are called? I'm beginning to feel foolish.) I rely on mine to give me the best sound.
Hi I am doing all of the above so not sure why it is doing this as it doesn't happen on all files. Thanks
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

sjmarky wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:20 am Are you using any kind of noise gate, de-esser or de-breath filter? All of those can cause clipped words.
No not using any of those but thanks
Michele
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Are you using Truncate Silence? That can definitely cause this effect if you use the default settings, which seem to be intended for music rather than speech.