Candide, Part 2

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll be recording Candide, Part 2 soon enough. (I have a lot of catching up to do first, though.)

The history of this sequel is interesting and still confused. A good number of scholars believed that Voltaire himself offered this sequel to his Candide, but this has been shown to be a misjudgment. The actual author has never been determined with any certainty. When I launch this, should the author be listed as 'Unknown'? 'Disputed'? 'Not Voltaire'? And is there a way of cataloging this so it doesn't show up when someone searches for Candide? Or does that matter? Actually, I don't really know how to differentiate it from the original except to label it 'Part 2.'

For you Voltaire fans, there is also a third sequel entitled Candide in Denmark. I wish I could find that one in English! It, too, was NOT written by Voltaire.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, there are pros and cons for everything you do. :lol:

Part of your considerations could be on how to find the book in our catalog. How many non-scholars would know that part 2 is not by Voltaire?
If this is not widely known, I would go for "Voltaire" as the author but would make a note in the summary that his authorship is disputed. or something like that.

But as I said, there are arguments on both sides. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Availle wrote: April 8th, 2021, 3:58 pm Well, there are pros and cons for everything you do. :lol:

Part of your considerations could be on how to find the book in our catalog. How many non-scholars would know that part 2 is not by Voltaire?
If this is not widely known, I would go for "Voltaire" as the author but would make a note in the summary that his authorship is disputed. or something like that.

But as I said, there are arguments on both sides. :D
Yes, it's maddening!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have a link to the text? How is it credited there?
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: April 8th, 2021, 5:21 pm Do you have a link to the text? How is it credited there?
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006544584

Listed as PD but I see no printed published date. I'm going to look a little harder. (I do know that I can find an appropriate copy if this one doesn't pass mustard.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, so the title wouldn't be "Candide, part 2" but "The history of Candide" (with or without "or All for the best").

Funny that none of our versions of Candide (except the French) have the subtitle "or, the Optimist" in them. :)

The source has the author as Voltaire. If there is a dispute about that, I think it should go in the summary/intro.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: April 8th, 2021, 5:21 pm Do you have a link to the text? How is it credited there?
Here is a copy from 18something: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007676236

It assumes, I assume, that Voltaire wrote 'Part 2.'
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm only interested in recording what LV does not already have, truth be told. Part 2 has not been recorded as far as I can tell. I think the English LV copies are all from the PG site, a different translation.