Guidelines please on submitting completed recordings (and editing on Audacity 3.0)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Morning/afternoon/evening all

Im a newbie and I have just recorded my first project. :clap:

However, it has all the usual tongue slips, chair moving noises etc that one has. I just would like some guidelines on pre-submission please because there are just so many links and so many places to look for this information and I truly can't find it.

do I now listen to my own recording. Then, through the great frustration of the Audacity learning curve and many many online tutorial videos, edit out what I can and then submit it, or do I submit it and then someone else listens to it and tells me what to fix or fixes it (I wish).

I also find that I am having trouble with the tutorials on Audacity editing because there are so many versions. I have version three. The tutorial I watched yesterday afternoon explained how to cut out a section, record the new section and replace it. My version does not behave in the same way. Any advice on that please?

thx and have a great day.

Dawn
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Dawn! Welcome to Librivox! Congrats on your first recording!

Editing at first is difficult but the more you record, and more comfortable you become in front of a microphone, the less you'll have to edit :D

When uploading a recording, it needs to be in what you'd consider complete state. So yes, you'll need to listen though and edit any repeats, noises, etc. Then a proof-listener will check for things you might have missed, and all this hard work will make it a sweet experience when you get the PL OK!

I haven't tried version 3 of audacity yet, so hopefully someone else can help you with editing advice. (I have added that to the thread title, to attract relevant replies)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Dawn and welcome. Yes, it is a frustrating learning experience, no doubt about that, but hang in there, the fog will slowly lift. I'm the guy who made those videos over the years as newer versions of Audacity came out. Obviously I need to make another with version 3.xxx now. Could you give me a hint about how what you watched and what your version did was different? What did not work? It would help me make the next video better.

Welcome again and you are doing things right; asking questions! Keep on going :thumbs: If somoething is really perplexing, just ask me to make a video.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ArthurTrinchera

Post by ArthurTrinchera »

Hi Dawn!
Here is one of the best Audacity tutorials I've found and I watched it just a couple of days ago. It's made specifically by an Audacity expert and working voiceover guy.
Although he's not using 3.0, I am using 3.0 and everything worked fine.
Editing is a bit arduous at first but I'm already getting better. Just take it as it comes. He has some excellent tips that saved me lots of time. Learn the Hotkey commands.
Best of luck, I hope this helps!
Arthur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ689x0GwVs&list=PL7FD1490AD4FFEA3B&index=178&t=62s
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Whatever you are using - the most helpful simple editing is -
When you know you have stumbled, missed a word, a fire engine drove through your house etc is to leave a bit of a gap, then read the whole phrase again. and repeat if the fire engine comes back,
Then when you finish you can use the gaps you have left to find the goof, and delete it and the gap and listen to the result.

Anne
DecemberInk

Post by DecemberInk »

ArthurTrinchera wrote: April 27th, 2021, 9:43 pm Hi Dawn!
Here is one of the best Audacity tutorials I've found and I watched it just a couple of days ago. It's made specifically by an Audacity expert and working voiceover guy.
Although he's not using 3.0, I am using 3.0 and everything worked fine.
Editing is a bit arduous at first but I'm already getting better. Just take it as it comes. He has some excellent tips that saved me lots of time. Learn the Hotkey commands.
Best of luck, I hope this helps!
Arthur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ689x0GwVs&list=PL7FD1490AD4FFEA3B&index=178&t=62s
Hi Arthur! I'm not the original poster but I just wanted to say thanks for this YouTube link! I've watched many other videos but this guys explains it the best. I wish I found him earlier - it would've saved me hours of headache.
ArthurTrinchera

Post by ArthurTrinchera »

So glad you found it useful as well! thanks for letting me know!
regards,
Arthur