Audacity 3.0

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Any concerns with this? I'm a little leary of change.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I ain't afraid of no new version! Might wait a few weeks though.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: March 17th, 2021, 7:02 pm I ain't afraid of no new version! Might wait a few weeks though.
Haha! Are you waiting for me to jump in or will I wait for you to take the plunge?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Sounds like some useful changes. Specifically how the native .aup files are stored (no more huge folders full of little bits and pieces) and an upgrade to the Noise Gate and a bunch of bug fixes.

https://www.audacityteam.org/audacity-3-0-0-released/

I don't use Audacity to record or edit, but I have it installed for checking tests, etc. I usually keep my version up to date with the latest once assuming that is what new readers will most likely have installed. Will therefore probably give it a go this weekend. :)
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 18th, 2021, 8:09 am I usually keep my version up to date with the latest once assuming that is what new readers will most likely have installed. Will therefore probably give it a go this weekend. :)
Let us know what you think!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm just worried that my current projects won't work properly in a new upgrade. I'm sure the upgraded product is fine in itself, but it's the compatibility issue that worries me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The release notes said that when you open older files with the new Audacity, it will convert them to the new version.

I don't save any files in Audacity format, anyway. Even when I am only halfway through recording a section, I export it as FLAC. So I have no fear of any files being corrupted or damaged by a new version of Audacity.

Perhaps you could migrate your files to FLAC, too, to be certain they'll be OK?

---

Initial reaction: Oh, boy - now someone is going to have to figure out the differences and change all the wiki pages. :shock:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:57 pm The release notes said that when you open older files with the new Audacity, it will convert them to the new version.

I don't save any files in Audacity format, anyway. Even when I am only halfway through recording a section, I export it as FLAC. So I have no fear of any files being corrupted or damaged by a new version of Audacity.

Perhaps you could migrate your files to FLAC, too, to be certain they'll be OK?
Good idea! Thank you!
loon

Post by loon »

I'm always a few version behind, as I'm waiting for newer versions to be blessed by the Linux geeks (typically at Ubuntu or Linux Mint). Out of date bu stable, that's me! (Currently on Audacity 2.3.3)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've been using the new version for a few days now, with no problems.

The functions that I've used are: New, Open (existing Audacity file, either aup or the new aup3), Import (mp3), Export (WAV and FLAC), Save, Save As (renaming file), Preferences (to change default directories), View Toolbars (I only have Transport, Mixer and Device toolbars open), Amplify, Change Tempo, Compressor, Noise Reduction, Normalise, Notch Filter, and Analyze/Plot Spectrum.

The new installation carried over my defaults without trouble. Running the program is almost exactly as it used to be; only a slight delay for "synching", when I save some Audacity files, and the use of *.aup3 as a single file instead of aup+data.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on March 23rd, 2021, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Peter Why wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:54 am I've been using the new version for a few days now, with no problems.

The functions that I've used are: New, Open (existing Audacity file, either aup or the new aup3), Import (mp3), Export (WAV and FLAC) Save, Save As (renaming file), Preferences (to change default directories), View Toolbars (I only have Transport, Mixer and Device toolbars open), Amplify, Change Tempo, Compressor, Noise Reduction, Normalise, Notch Filter, and Analyze/Plot Spectrum.

The new installation carried over my defaults without trouble. Running the program is almost exactly as it used to be; only a slight delay for "synching", when I save some Audacity files, and the use of *.aup3 as a single file instead of aup+data.

Peter
Many thanks, Peter. This is reassuring.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Peter Why wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:54 am I've been using the new version for a few days now, with no problems.

The functions that I've used are: New, Open (existing Audacity file, either aup or the new aup3), Import (mp3), Export (WAV and FLAC) Save, Save As (renaming file), Preferences (to change default directories), View Toolbars (I only have Transport, Mixer and Device toolbars open), Amplify, Change Tempo, Compressor, Noise Reduction, Normalise, Notch Filter, and Analyze/Plot Spectrum.

Peter
Same here, except as I noted above, I don't use it to record. I did have to add Replay Gain again, but all the rest of my modified settings were retained.
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's a bit irritating. Did you have to reinstall it from scratch, or just go into the list of effects and enable it again? I do use ReplayGain extensively.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I redownloaded it. If I remember correctly, I had to do this with the last version of Audacity as well.
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm on 3.0.0 now. Pretty flawless change-over from what I can tell. I did not have to change my settings or download any effects I already had with 2.