FUZZ

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
GillH

Post by GillH »

Good morning, all.

Help, please!

I was editing my latest recording and all was going well. Now, at 51 minutes in, everything has suddenly gone fuzzy. I didn't press anything different that I'm aware of, although my cat was in the vicinity at the time and she has often tried to be "helpful" in the past. Any ideas?

To clarify, the whole recording is fuzzy now. I stupidly thought everything might come right if I closed and re-opened the file, but it has been saved like that so I can't do an undo. I do have an earlier version of the recording so if all else fails I can go back and re-edit the whole thing, but with only 3 1/2 minutes to go, I'd like to avoid that, if possible!

Thanks for any suggestions.
G
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

My one guess is that you accidentally mouse clicked on the left-hand space and added volume gain. Check if the slider in the left hand space is in the middle (instead of towards the + sign). If it's not, bring it to the middle and check if the sound is back to normal. If it already is in the center and still sounds fuzzy, let us know, and we'll try to think of something else.

PS. Just to clarify, you are using Audacity, yes?
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I'm using Audacity 2.3.0

The sliders I have are "Recording Volume", "Playback Volume" and "Playback Speed". Changing any of those doesn't make any difference.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough, I mean the sliders on the left-hand space from the track:

Are they both centered in the recording in question?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GillH wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:16 am Good morning, all.

Help, please!

I was editing my latest recording and all was going well. Now, at 51 minutes in, everything has suddenly gone fuzzy. I didn't press anything different that I'm aware of, although my cat was in the vicinity at the time and she has often tried to be "helpful" in the past. Any ideas?

To clarify, the whole recording is fuzzy now. I stupidly thought everything might come right if I closed and re-opened the file, but it has been saved like that so I can't do an undo. I do have an earlier version of the recording so if all else fails I can go back and re-edit the whole thing, but with only 3 1/2 minutes to go, I'd like to avoid that, if possible!

Thanks for any suggestions.
G
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it might just be better to start over again with the edit of your clean copy. I don't know what went wrong, but unless you can determine what settings were altered, it may be very difficult to return the recording to something you would want to hear.

We could try, though. If you want to share a segment of what you have---with fuzz---maybe we can find an easy solution.

Did you not only close and re-open the recording, but close Audacity? Maybe that's the first question.

And with Audacity re-opened, are any new recordings back to normal?
GillH

Post by GillH »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 16th, 2021, 3:10 am Sorry, I wasn't specific enough, I mean the sliders on the left-hand space from the track:

Ah! Perfect. Thank you so much. I must have knocked it along when my cat came to play. All fixed now.
Thanks also, Kevin S. Thankfully that was all it was. Phew!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GillH wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:26 am
Rapunzelina wrote: March 16th, 2021, 3:10 am Sorry, I wasn't specific enough, I mean the sliders on the left-hand space from the track:

Ah! Perfect. Thank you so much. I must have knocked it along when my cat came to play. All fixed now.
Thanks also, Kevin S. Thankfully that was all it was. Phew!
Good news!

And very loyal of you to cover up for your cat! I'd do the same.